Author Topic: O'Neill - Master of Lurgan Workhouse  (Read 47916 times)

Offline the rebel singer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: O'Neill - Master of Lurgan Workhouse
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 09:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Hamlets; thanks for the reply; I have some info on the 1800s but I think a lot of it is already known. I have some info on the change of spelling and will do some cutting and pasting when I have a mo. Trying to retire at the moment and you wouldn't credit how difficult it is!*! will try and attach a miscellany of family photos and let the sleuths do their work! I'm sure many of you already have these. good hunting.

Offline hamlets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 06 May 11 22:18 BST (UK) »
Dear diggerdaisy, mouser, desoneile, rachymac, the rebel singer and all interested -
In my reply no. 35, I mentioned that "your gt gt gndmother was a Jane O'Neill ....Her husband was probably Henry O'Neill".
Henry and Jane had (as far as I know) about 7 children:-
W
O'Neill, Balmer, Dick, Lockhart, Jeffers, Morton, Ringland.
South Armagh, South Down, North Louth

Offline hamlets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 06 May 11 22:41 BST (UK) »
Dear diggerdaisy, mouser, desoneile, rachymac, the rebel singer and all interested -

In my reply no. 35, I mentioned that "your gt gt gndmother was a Jane O'Neill ....Her husband was probably Henry O'Neill".
Henry and Jane had (as far as I know) about 7 children:-

William (1837-1897) who m. Elizabeth Morton
Martha Jane (1839-1913) who did not marry
Maria (1846-1917) who m. Andrew Maitland
Susan (1847-       ) who m. Isaac Irvine
James (1850-1922) who m. Sarah Balmer
Frances (1855-1921) who m. James Dick
Anne (1856-1907) who m. John Caulfield

I have been struggling for many a day to find the maiden name of Jane O'Neill and have a suggestion for you to consider from these two items:-

1. Jane's daughter, Susan O'Neill m. Isaac Irvine. Susan Irvine had two daughters, Martha Jane BELL Irvine (b. 1876 probably Rathfriland) and Elizabeth Irvine (b. abt. 1877, probably Rathfriland).
2. Jane's son James O'Neill m. Sarah Balmer. His full name is James BELL O'Neill (this from the Will Calendars at PRONI)..

Considering naming customs in those days, the probability of Jane O'Neill being Jane Bell  is quite high.
I intend to name her Jane Bell unless proved otherwise by your "files bulging with letters and photographs" (??? - hint, hint).

This now broadens the scope of our quest quite considerably. Although the period is "difficult" (early 1800's), I am hoping that someone out there can provide some clues.

Best regards,
hamlets

Offline hamlets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 27 May 11 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hello all you Contributorsand thanks for your interest and replies!
I visited the Belfast Newspaper Archives today and found these items which I have transcribed:-

“Newry Reporter” of 15 July 1922:-
We regret to announce the death, which took place yesterday morning, from pneumonia, of Mr. James B. O’Neill, younger son of the late Mr. and Mrs. James O’Neill, King Street, Newry. For many years the deceased, who was quite a young man, assisted his father in the wine and spirit trade and in general posting and funeral undertaking work. His father pre-deceased him on the 27th January last and he then succeeded to the business. His health for some time past had not been of a robust character. He was an exceedingly well-known figure throughout Newry and the surrounding districts, and by his many friends and acquaintances his death will be heard of with much sorrow. He leaves to mourn his loss one brother – Mr. John Henry O’Neill, Master of the Lurgan Workhouse – and four married sisters. The funeral will take place tomorrow (Sunday) afternoon at 3.00pm, to St. Patrick’s Churchyard, Newry.

“Newry Reporter” of 18 July 1922:-
On Sunday afternoon, at 3 o’clock, internment took place in St Patrick’s Churchyard, Newry, of Mr. James B. O’Neill, King Street, Newry, younger son of the late Mr. James O’Neill who was a spirit merchant, posting establishment proprietor and funeral undertaker, King Street, Newry.

There was a very large attendance at the funeral, the cortege including members of all sections of the people of the town and district, while numerous vehicles brought up (the rear) of the mournful procession. The dimensions of the funeral cortege testified to the widespread regret evoked by the deceased’s demise at an early age, and to the sympathy felt with his brother and four married sisters and other relatives in their bereavement.

The chief mourners were – Messrs John Henry O’Neill, Master of the Lurgan Workhouse (brother); Thomas Balmer, Newry (uncle); James O’Neill, Liverpool, and Ernest Mellon, Newry (nephews); John Balmer, Newry, and William O’Neill, Liverpool (cousins); David O’Neill, Forkhill; Wm. Lockhart, Mullaglass; and Alex Weir, Newry (relatives). Two old friends of the family – Mr. David Lowry, of Hilltown, and Mr. John Fitzpatrick of Rathfriland – were also present.

The Rev. R G McBride, BA, assistant to the minister of Sandys Street Presbyterian Church, officiated at the graveside.

The wreaths were from John and Emma O’Neill and family, Lurgan; from Lizzie; from Martha and Dick McElhenny, Dublin; from uncle Thomas and Aunt Annie; from Cousins May, Cissy, Johnnie and Sara; from Ernest (nephew); from Mr. and Mrs. J. Reid, Loanda House; from Mr. and Mrs. McKee and family, King Street; and from P. McCourt, Water Street, Newry.

There was another brother - William James who was b. 28 Nov 1874 and was baptised at Sandys St. on 13 Jan 1876. Does anyone know what happened to him?

Offline hamlets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 10 September 12 13:22 BST (UK) »
Hello diggerdaisey in OZ!
Have recently been reviewing some of the msgs under this heading (hoping for some additional long-lost info from you or maybe from one of our other contributors) when I looked again at Reply Np. 29 of 4 Feb 2011 about Tommy Shaw, the last surviving Irishman to have served in the Great War.
With this in mind, today I went to Clandeboy Cemetery to view his grave, expecting to see some proper acknowledgement of who he was and what he represented.
But no! His headstone could not have been more simple and direct - knowing now his background, its very simplicity seems to say "integrity".
Regards,
Hamlets
PS Have photo of headstone if any require it.

Offline carletonwithane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 24 November 12 17:12 GMT (UK) »
 :D

photograph of the o'neile family + one.  kathleen (my mother) carleton (nee o'neile) is on the extreme left and the child in the centre is my sister.

Offline hamlets

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 24 November 12 19:43 GMT (UK) »
To Carletonwithane-
Many thanks for the photo.
In reply I have attached a photo of my father who has MORE THAN a passing resemblance to Joh Henry! Even from the photos they are related, but proving it - that's another tale!
Regards,
Hamlets.
PS I hope the photo I have "attached" downloads ok - this software is a bit odd! Everyone else seems to manage it except me.

Offline carletonwithane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 01 December 12 19:36 GMT (UK) »
 :)Reading the obituary for James B O’Neill, Newry Reporter 15th July 1922, I note that he had one brother John Henry O’Neill and 4 married sisters, no names for the sisters given.  His father James ran a shop at 5, King Street Newry in 1881.  In the 1901 census there is a James O’Neill and wife Sarah living at 13, King Street Newry.  In the 1911 census there is a James O’Neill and wife Sarah living at 2, King Street Newry.  These census records give the following information:-

1901 census               1911 census
13 King Street               2 King Street

James aged 47               James aged 57
Sarah aged 53               Sarah aged 65

H?  aged 27               H?  aged 37            
D? aged 23-25            D? aged 33-35

Sarah aged 22               Sarah aged 28
Annie aged 21               Annie?
Martha aged 19            Martha aged 25
James aged 17               James aged 23

The question marks have been added to signify that these persons (H for Henry and D. for an unnamed sister) had probably got married and left home since they are all still alive in 1922 and the 4 daughters are married.  Can anyone fill in the gaps?  How did John Henry come to spell his name O’Neile and not O’Neill as his father had done.  There is also a change from Presbyterian to Church of Ireland.  The children have only aged 6 years over a 10 year period while Sarah his wife has aged 12 years over the same period.  Surprisingly, James senior has aged 10 years over a 10 year period.

Offline the rebel singer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 02 December 12 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Relatives and interested parties; the change from O'Neill to O'Neile was explained to me by several of his children - my mother and aunts and uncles. From early in the last century, John Henry was a political agent in Lurgan for Sir Edward Carson in the period leading up to the 1914 Home Rule Bill which was suspended once the first world war broke out. There was another O'Neill in the town and he quite often received "sensitive" letters intended for John Henry which he circulated freely in the town embarrassing several people. At Carson's request, he changed his surname to the O'Neile we all knew him by. The census of 1901 and various birth certificate would pinpoint when he had changed it. Hope this helps.