Author Topic: passenger list for USA 1868  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
passenger list for USA 1868
« on: Saturday 20 June 09 19:03 BST (UK) »
John Reed Davies emigrated to Pennsylvania in 1868 before finally settling in Arkansas, he was born in Wales in 1843
 1880 Census returns only give his birthplace as Wales, is there anyway of finding out where in Wales he originated?
In 1880 he is living in Little Rock Pulsaki Arkansas with his wife Clara and children Harry Reed Davies and Clara L Davies, I would be grateful for any tips, or could someone possibly look up passenger list for me please

Thank you so much for your time, best wishes Bethan
Denton,Barfoot,Emery in Bedford.Howells of Pembroke,Davies of Rhymney,Jones of Carmarthen.

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: passenger list for USA 1868
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 16:03 BST (UK) »
You might try looking for records in Arkansas - death record, obituary, local history, etc.

In the 1900 census:
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/
They appear to be at Dry Fork & Osage townships, Carrol Co, Ar
John R Davies, b. Sep 1845, 54, married 29 years, b. Wales, emigrated 1868, naturalised.
His wife Clara is listed as having had 9 children, only two are living.
One is with them - Susan A. Mortin, widowed at 16, and her son, John W.
Harry R. Davies is the next door over, with his wife (Della) and daughter.

It appears (from www.familysearch.org) that the marriages of Susan (to Warren Martin) and Harry to Della may have taken place in Washington Co, AR.

Do you know Clara's maiden name or where they were originally in Pennsylvania? Finding John in the 1870 census (presumably in PA, and probably near where Clara came from), and then looking for any other Davies in the area, would be a good step to take, but I think having looked at it that there are two many John Davies from Wales in PA in 1870 of the right approximate age to do this. (Equally, middle names are often left off early shipping lists, making him hard to pinpoint).

There is also no obvious 1843-1845 birth for a John Reed Davies/Davis anywhere in Wales (or England), and there are also too many possible births for him without the middle name, so more research on the US side is needed first, I think.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bethan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: passenger list for USA 1868
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 17:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jorose for helping me so much, you have given me such a lot of information I am truly very gratefuL, If I can ever return the favour in any way please let me know.
I found the birth entry for Clara L Davies daughter of John Reed Davies and Clara, she born in IL in 1874 ,and it gave her mothers maiden name as Clara Weth.. born New York 1855.
You are right about there being so many Davies's, I did find a John Reed Davies who was born in Caernavon Wales in 1857, but he was still there in 188i while our John was in Pulsaki Little Rock Arkansas at that time.

Thank you again for your help, you are a star, Best Wishes Bethan 
Denton,Barfoot,Emery in Bedford.Howells of Pembroke,Davies of Rhymney,Jones of Carmarthen.