Author Topic: **Joseph Morrison Kennedy, anyone shed some light plz  (Read 21321 times)

Offline kannet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: **Joseph Morrison Kennedy, anyone shed some light plz
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 04 March 12 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Evening  ..

I know this thread is rather old, but I feel I also have a link to the Kennedy family of Newtown Crommelin Ballymena..

My ggrandfathers brother Herbert Charlton Woodbridge ,married Margaret Maxwell Kennedy in 1917 in New Zealand. After searching NZ newspapers I found a article, when Herbert and Margaret celebrate their 50 wedding anniversary, and it stated that Margaret was from Newtown Crommlin              ( although this  name was badly spelt in the article).

After much searching I have found Margarets birth notice, as Maggie Maxwell Kennedy, 1882, Ballymena, tracked the family thru the 1901 and 1911 census, and found that she had siblings with the names mentioned in the other posts.
(Although I do beleive that a Madge Kennedy is mentioned and I am pretty sure she is not a member of th family ??, but not certain.. )

Would love to hear from others researching this family  ...

Cheers
Karen of Brisbane

Offline elderone1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 04 March 12 16:38 GMT (UK) »
I think you are correct that the "Madge Kennedy" on this Joseph Morrison Kennedy tree is from a different family. This Madge, (1883, Newtown-Crommelin) -1945, Wellington, NZ) married George Turkington of Wellington, NZ, and had three sons. She was my "great-aunt". They were entries in my father's address book, but we never met.   

Offline kannet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 04 March 12 21:00 GMT (UK) »

So are you saying your Madge Kennedy does not have John Alexander Kennedy and Elizabeth Maxwell as her parents  ..
.. as I matched every name (I had found on 1901 and 1911 census, and also from Ancestry site)  to a birth on famlysearch site, only no 'Madge' and also found Maggie Maxwell Kennedy to fit my info already gathered

Sorry if I appear a bit confused  ??? ???

Cheers
Karen

Offline AndrewKen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 04 March 12 21:50 GMT (UK) »
This is quite strange as even though you seem to have matched a lot of names there are slight differences of dates of birth (1 year is not enough to be concerned about though). However her marriage of 50 years is tricky as I have her death as 1960 (with the wedding in 1917 is only 43 years) and also have her married to George Turknington, although again it would not have been uncommon for a remarriage.

Andrew Kennedy

Offline kannet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 04 March 12 22:05 GMT (UK) »

So very Sorry, I shd have said 25 years (silver wedding anniversary)  .. which I think adds up...
.. and have Margaret Maxwell Woodbridge death of 1944 from NZ BDM website

..  is there a birth entry anywhere for  a "Madge"
.. I noticed that the birth entries on 'familysearch' and the names used on other trees are somewhat different  .. eg Lizzie, ( there is a Ancestry entry for Lizzie with Hohn Alexander Kennedy and Lizzie Maxwell Kennedy as parents) for Elizabeth Jane

Karen

Offline AndrewKen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 04 March 12 22:31 GMT (UK) »
There is only 1 John Alexander Kennedy in Newton Crommelin and the only Kennedys in that small village were from the same extended family, so would have had James Kennedy (John A's father) as the head of the family at that time. Highly likely that the Madge is the same one - I may have her death date as incorrect. But still have George Turkington as a husband, but not sure the source of that information.

Offline AndrewKen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 04 March 12 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Madge can also be short for Margaret/Maggie. Elizabeth is often shortened to Lizzie, so you will see different variants around depending on where the information came from. Another relative was known as Minnie - but had the name Mary Anne.

Regards

Andrew

Offline elderone1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 05 March 12 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Karen (re your reply 29 today);
I am duplicating my earlier  posting that somehow disappeared.
The Madge Kennedy (1883-1945) on my family tree is indeed adaughter of John Alexander Kennedy (1853-1926) and Elizabeth Maxwell.
Her siblings were Elizabeth Jane (b.10 Nov 1879-d.31 Oct 1953 in Victoria, B.C., Canada....my Grandmother); Joseph Morrison (b.15 Nov 1884-d.19 Mar 1961 in Detroit, Michigan); Max (b-d 1887 at birth);John Maxwell (b.25 Jan 1889-d.13 Aug 1915 in Westport New Zealand coal mining accident);Hugh Bradshaw (b. 28 Jun 1892-d.1964 in Auckland New Zealand); Crawford D. (b.22 Nov 1929 - d.1971 in Beith, Scotland); William Alexander(26 Nov 1895 - d.Jan 1914 in Newtown Crommelin); Gordon Maxwell (b.1897), Frederic Walter(b.1899); Helen Louise (May 1902-d.20 Feb 1904 Scarlet Fever); Matilda(b.19 Nov 1890); Mary Anne (b.24Jun 1887 - d.1965 in Larkhall, Scotland); James (b.21 Jul 1881 - d.1972 in Larkhall, Scotland). Whew!
I can't find my source of who Madge married (George Turkington or your Herbert Charlton Woodbridge), but it was in New Zealand.
I also wish to determine which of my relatives currently reside in Australia....I know they are there! My letter from Mattie Kennedy says so (eg "wife of Scott Kennedy". Also some with surname "Bunckenburg" in still in New Zealand.
Anything you might know to distinguish Turkington from Woodbridge would be helpful!
Cheers,
 Dave Kelly

Offline kannet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 05 March 12 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Aftermoon..

after searching the New ZealandBDM website I found the following
Matilda Kennedy marries George Turkington  ..  1917
Margaret Maxwell Kennedy marries Herbert harlton Woodbridge  ..  1917

..  then after searching the New Zealand electoral roll further
  ..  1919 to 1946 .. at various addresses around Wellington
George Turkington - railway clerk
Matilda Turkington - married
  ..  in 1946 several other Turkington names appear, including a Keith Kennedy Turkington at same address as George and Matilda
  ..  in 1949 a Gordon Maxwell Turkington appears at same address as George and Matilda

..  by 1969 George and Matilda appear together at same address for last time
  ..  1972 to 1981  ..  Matilda is listed as a widow
This is as far as the Electoral records go.

I have Margaret Maxwell Woodbridge , nee Kennedy  at a different addres from 1919 to 1944  to  her death .

So maybe  Margaret and Matilda are sisters   .. ???

I cannot find any info on when either girl arrive in NZ..

All 'food for thought ..

Cheers
Karen