Author Topic: Patrick Naughton  (Read 2829 times)

Offline jen1984

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Patrick Naughton
« on: Sunday 21 June 09 20:39 BST (UK) »
I am searching for ancestors of Patrick Naughton born in Galway around 1837.  He was married to Bridget but I do not have her maiden name or when or where they were married.

They had two daughters.  Mary J born in 1876 and Catherine Maud born 1880(my GG grandmother).  Both were born in India where Patrick was serving with the 51st Regiment of the K.O Light Infantry.

He is on the 1891 census living in Manchester with his two daughters described as a widower so Bridget must have died and in the 1911 census he was living with his son in law William Henry Heywood (my gg Grandfather) in Manchester.

I would love to find out any information on his parents and/or Bridget.

If any one has any link to the Naughton family in their tree I would love to hear from you.

Regards

Jenna

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Naughton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 June 09 13:37 BST (UK) »
You could try searching this site, it is free to search but have to pay to get full info. It might help if you a townland and parish of where he was born. By using the site it may help narrow down his birth and poss marriage?
Good luck,
Migky  ;)

CLICK 4 GALWAY RECORDS

PS you will also have to try and get hold of one of the children's birth certificates, as that would give Bridget's maiden name. If you are really lucky and manage to get hold of Patricks service/pension record, they may show where/when & who he married plus names and dates of birth of any children they had and of course next of kin.

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 June 09 14:29 BST (UK) »
Hi. i found Patrick Naughton on the 1901 in Manchester,Ancoats area. He is said to be living with his inlaws the McGing's family?
I take it this is the same family, as it has Catherine M Naughton born East India on it a year before she married William H Heywwod in 1902 ST. Silas, Ardwick Manchester.

Census record RG13; Piece: 3744; Folio: 159; Page: 7.

So my question is, did Patrick have another daughter ( poss Teresa Naughton ) who married a McGing ? As i found a Teresa Naughton getting married June 1/4 1898 Manchester.

Migky ;)

Offline jen1984

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Migky,

Thank you very much for your helpful responses.  I did find Patrick Naughton on the 1901 census on Ancestory but as you have to pay to view the records (I am subscribed on findmypast.com which up until a few weeks ago did not have Lancashire on it) I only saw the basic info which said he was living with the McGing family but it did not give any relation to the head so I just presumed that he was lodging there with Catherine.

When I got your message yesterday giving me the census number etc (again, thank you very much for that, very helpful) I typed this in findmypast.com and it came up as being the father in law of the McGings!  On closer inspection of the original census record the family was actually call Mcgarry but the quality of the document was very poor so an easy mistake for them to make.

I never even knew Patrick had another daughter!  I knew he had Mary in 1876 and Catherine in 1880 but presumed that was that!  I had a look in the overseas birth records and found Teresa born in 1874.

In relation to your other message I have already obtained a copy of Catherine's birth certificate which is the only reason I found out about Bridget.  However, this does not give me Bridget's surname.

I am struggling somewhat trying to find anything out about Patrick or Bridget.  I went on to the website you kindly suggested and paid 5 euros for what I thought was the right marriage and it turned out to be incorrect!

Sorry to bother you for more help but you mentioned in your post about me trying to find Patrick's service/pension record.  Do you have any idea where I might find this as again I'm struggling to find any information from his army days.

Thank you again for all your help.

Regards

Jenna  :) :) :)

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 14:10 BST (UK) »
Oh! didn't mean for you to pay on that site( well not unless you were 99% sure you had the correct family) but just to use it as a search tool, sorry.

If any service records survive, you could try looking on the National archives web site (but if you re like me, i struggle to use it. ) or if you live near by to N.A. at Kew maybe visit?

CLICK 4 N.A.SITE

Offline Mr. MIGKY

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 16:07 BST (UK) »
Correction to the above but i was just looking at the census and you are right it is McGarry and not McGing, sorry  :-[

Marriages JunE 1/4  1898 
McGarry  Andrew     Manchester  8d 473   
Naughton  Teresa     Manchester  8d 473   

Migky  ;)