Author Topic: Reform Buildings Newport  (Read 3744 times)

Offline celtictree

• RootsChat Extra
  • great grandma
    • View Profile
Reform Buildings Newport
« on: Monday 22 June 09 17:34 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any information on 'Reform Buildings' in Newport please?
My greatgrandfather was born their in 1854 . I have been unable to find out anything definate about location or living conditions etc. I do not think that either his mother or father originally came from the area & its probable they were their in connection to work, were these buildings connected to any industry etc?
They are not living their in any census, although I also believe that his parents may have died fairly early in his life although don't have evidence of this, my great grandfather doesn't turn up again until 1873 in London, when he enlisted in royal marines.
He was Samuel Johnson b.1854 , his father also Samuel Johnson, mother Mary Ann (formerly Croston).
Many Thanks for any help on this

Offline Papa1

• RootsChat Member
  • Waterford City Coat of Arms
    • View Profile
Re: Reform Buildings Newport
« Reply #1 on: Monday 22 June 09 22:49 BST (UK) »
If a Reform building is a work house then this link to Newport's now known as St Woolos Hospital is interesting.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Newport/Newport.shtml
Newport's War Dead, Cwmbran's War Dead, Monmouthshire Warrior's, McGuire of Waterford City, Gillard of Churchstanton, north Devon, Morgan of Cwmbran, Waterford's War Dead

Offline celtictree

• RootsChat Extra
  • great grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 10:18 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks for that link. I had thought of possibility of workhouse connection but don't think it is and can't find anything that says it was affiliated but the name suggests it may well have been doesn't it.
Thanks again
T

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 June 09 12:26 BST (UK) »
I`m sure I came across the Reform Buildings in an electoral register one time and it was in the Docks/Pill area of the city. Not  much help I know,but I don`t think it was part of the workhouse.
Census Information Crown

Offline IndisVanyar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great grandfather James Nevitt 1850-1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 20:58 BST (UK) »
Firstly - welcome to Rootschat.

I searched the Gale Newspaper archive for "Reform Buildings Newport"  but all it showed were two references to this address as the homes of people in the newspaper reports - so it looks quite possibly like a terrace of houses or something similar.

A single young woman living at home with her parents in Reform Buildings, Newport.......
and
A boy named Peter Monk of 8, Reform Buildings Newport....

Regards

Nell
Kitching Elsbury Lawrence Last Ellington Govier Pawsey Rice Nevitt Napier Seymour

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Papa1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 21:39 BST (UK) »
Try contacting Jan Preece who owns this web site. He has a lot of history of Pill and did have a Pill History Centre until the building it was in was sold off by the council.
There's a good chance that he might be able to help.

http://www.quietwomansrow.moonfruit.com/
Newport's War Dead, Cwmbran's War Dead, Monmouthshire Warrior's, McGuire of Waterford City, Gillard of Churchstanton, north Devon, Morgan of Cwmbran, Waterford's War Dead

Offline celtictree

• RootsChat Extra
  • great grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 June 09 13:17 BST (UK) »
Just to say thanks for your help everyone.
Have contacted Jan via the website you gave me and he thinks he may have something, is just looking it up & will be back to me so hopefully it lead me to a bit more information,it was an interesting website too.

Offline Papa1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 June 09 16:07 BST (UK) »
Glad it was of help and yes you right, it is an interesting web site.