Author Topic: James Millar of Grahamston  (Read 11208 times)

Offline SMOOTHIE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Millar of Grahamston
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 01:03 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so so much for your help DDJJAKE. Its great to find someone who has local knowledge and you certainly have that.

I just checked the 1911 census again- sorry got mixed up with 1901. In 1911 he is down as 28, a Bricklayer, from Grahamston, Scotland.  Oddly he wrote 27 and then crossed it out. I suppose its easy to make a mistake. I imagine he would have still been in Scotland in 1901, having been in the army their. Anyway, I will wait to hear if you have any luck.

Thanks again,
Martine

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Smoothie,
Was James Millars mother's forename given on his marriage and/or his death certificate.
This would help to pin-point him in an 1891 Census. Do you know if he was born in or out of wedlock ?
Aye
DDJJAKE
Auchmutie, Ingles, Henderson, Fife, Patrick, Moffat, Collier, Hunter, McLeod, Cassells  in Fife
Henderson, Nicoll, Baxter, Hill in Angus, Nicoll in California USA, Australia
Henderson Cuthbert, Hendry in Perth, and NY State
Telfer, Walker, Rennie, Maclaren in Falkirk, Glasgow, Paisley, USA, Australia, NZ
Rennie in Winnipeg
Richardson in Lochmaben, Dumfries
Kerr in Midlothian, Stirling, Illinois, Ontario, Manitoba
Waddel in West Lothian, Ohio
McMillan in Argyll

Offline SMOOTHIE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi DDJJAKE,

It didn't say who his mother was. It just said on the marriage certificate that his father was deceased. He was supposed to have left Scotland due to a family falling out, but I don't know anything further or if he had an siblings. He may have been born out of wedlock.

Thanks
Martine

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

I've been following this thread am now intrigued too!!

I had some spare credits and had a peek at 2 James Mill*rs, both born Falkirk between 1882-1884 but neither of them have a father George.

1. James Miller, born 7th October 1884 at 92 *Barnsford, Falkirk to Robert Miller, Joiner (Journeyman) and Elizabeth Miller nee Watson
    Their marriage was on 20th December 1871 at Falkirk?

*Could be Bainsford?

2. James Aitken Miller, born 14th July 1884 at Cow Wynd, Falkirk to John Miller, Iron Moulder and Mary Miller nee Aitken.
    Their marriage was on 3rd June 1881 at Falkirk

James may well have been born elsewhere but lived there from an early age IF the Grahamston he mentions is the Falkirk one. This may just have been where he thought he was born?

Anne

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anne,
Good to seeyou involved in this one ... we both wasted a couple of £s in Falkirk on GRO .... och!

There is a recent book out on the Lost Village of Grahamston in Glasgow, now under Central Station ... and I found a James Millar of the right age, 17, in an orphanage in Glasgow in the 1901 Census.
I found yet another fit in 246 St Vincent St for a George and Marion Dobie Miller having a son James D Miller in 1883, but theses parents were alive by 1911 Census (Marion died 1913, with George as informant to registrar) , so another couple of £s wasted.
We really need the mother's forename to have a chance of further identification ... the death certificate in England may/may not show this.
Aye
John
Auchmutie, Ingles, Henderson, Fife, Patrick, Moffat, Collier, Hunter, McLeod, Cassells  in Fife
Henderson, Nicoll, Baxter, Hill in Angus, Nicoll in California USA, Australia
Henderson Cuthbert, Hendry in Perth, and NY State
Telfer, Walker, Rennie, Maclaren in Falkirk, Glasgow, Paisley, USA, Australia, NZ
Rennie in Winnipeg
Richardson in Lochmaben, Dumfries
Kerr in Midlothian, Stirling, Illinois, Ontario, Manitoba
Waddel in West Lothian, Ohio
McMillan in Argyll

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 10 February 10 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

My nose (as usual) was bothering me!!  ::)

Still, you just never know when these odd certs will come in handy! I love looking through them - so a couple of quid well spent for me.

Hopefully 'Smoothie' will uncover some essentials soon - I'm not too sure about what sort of info is on English certs - thankfully none of my lot ever ventured over the border, but you would think the motrher has to be listed somewhere!!

Anne

Offline SMOOTHIE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 11 February 10 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie and John,

Thanks so so much for spending your time and money on helping me. I really really appreciate it. You have found out some really interesting information.
Came over to Nan's house and been rooting around in the old photo tins. She believes he was born on 24th April but was unsure of the year. 1883 seems to be correct as he was married in 1911 (Feb) and this is the age on the certificate.
In the census of April 1911 he also writes he is 28. I have been straining with the magnifying glass and in his regiment pictures there is a sign up with his regiments number.  It looks like it is 2333, at a push it would be 2383 but I would guess the former (the writing is tiny.) I was thinking about what you said with regards the death certificate. I have the rough date of his death so could apply for a certificate, but I am not sure that it would have the information I am looking for.  I have some death certificates for relatives. One from 1988 asks for date and place of birth. One from the 1940s does not. He died in 1937.   Just looked at his marriage certificate again and its definitely George for the father but there are no documents with his mothers name on. Apart from birth certificates, I don't think any documents ask for this. I have seen some of my families WW1 records and they ask for your current address and fathers name, neither of which are going to help me. So, loads more clues but nothing which is leading me towards my goal of a birth or census records. Here he is on all the pictures but I can't find out who he really is!

Any ideas?
Martine

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 12 February 10 07:21 GMT (UK) »
I wouldn't bother too much about his exact age on Census Returns - a year out either way doesn't make too much of a difference. It all depends when in the year he was born - if it was before the date of a Census or after if you see what I mean. (Andy mentioned this in an earlier post)

1901 - 31st March/1st April
1891 - 5th/6th April
1881 - 3rd/4th April

You mentioned that you had found him living with your gt. grandmother on the 1901 Census, aged 27/28, but 2 posts further on, you then said you thought he might still have been in Scotland (having been in the army) so can I ask you to confirm that info please?

Is there any additional information on his Marriage Certificate? I'm not familiar with English certificates at all, and being so used to Scottish ones, which give the names of parents, witnesses etc., I thought there may have been some clues there?

Anne

Offline SMOOTHIE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 12 February 10 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annie,

Thanks for your messsge. Sorry I got mixed up in an earlier post. On the 1911 census he is living with his wife, my g grandmother, Florence Millar (maiden name Walker) in Newcastle. They were married in Feb 1911, him being 28 and her 21. So he left Scotland before Feb 1911, but I don't know when.  The wedding certficate gives little clues. Two witness, one is Florence's brother in law and the female witness is called Starkey but we don't know who she was. Florence's father is still alive and his name and occupation are written. I have found his entry on the 1911 census. Jame's father is dead and so 'George Millar deceased' is entered.

So I waited for years for the 1911 census to come out, so I could find out where he was from in Scotland- I did and I am still no further forward!

Thanks
Martine