Author Topic: Help please with finding a birth - Mary Evelyn ASTBURY 1893  (Read 6537 times)

Offline cathyaus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please with finding a birth - Mary Evelyn ASTBURY 1893
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 14:08 BST (UK) »

Hi Anna
Where did you find that info  ???

I compared the outbound passenger list which I have already referred to (available from the pay site www.findmypast.com) with the ship's passenger manifest as presented to the US authorities on arrival, available inter alia on the free site www.ellisisland.org.

Anna

Thanks Anna
I was only going by the arrival dates from Ellis Island - didn't know that there were Outbound lists from England.
Sedgwick- George, Thomas, Charles, Eddie, Harry
Wilcockson - Thomas, Joseph, Edward, William Henry
Ruge -Christian, Wilhelm, August, Waldemar. Christian was  from Germany(until 1850 then Sth Australia then NSW)

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 25 June 09 09:55 BST (UK) »
All the work put in by the people on here is admirable however the evidence was there in front of everyone's eyes.  Born in America but as British nationalisation due to parents.  BORN IN AMERICA being the operative phrase

Gen
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 25 June 09 10:05 BST (UK) »
at one stage, this was in front of everybodies eyes too .....

The 1900 US Census states born March 1893 Place of birth England (forgot to add that bit - sorry)> It also says year of immigration & listed next to the mother, older brother & Evelyn it says 1894> The father has 1892 as year of immigration as he went over to the US in 1892 & then back again in 1894. There is another brother listed on the US census but it states he was born in the US - which makes me believe that Evelyn was definately born in England - otherwise they would have listed her like the younger brother.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cathyaus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 25 June 09 10:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Gen

The "Born in America" was on the 1911 census that may have been filled in by the head of the household - the publican / Employer of Evelyn.

The 1900 US Census was filled in by Eveleyn's parents which state she was "Born in England". I think that I would take notice of a form filled in by the parents rather than an employer.

Cathy
Ruge -Christian, Wilhelm, August, Waldemar. Christian was  from Germany(until 1850 then Sth Australia then NSW)

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 25 June 09 12:16 BST (UK) »
There are a lot of may's in that.  The fact is no birth can be found for her in the UK and therefore you go with the obvious.  Also census in the US at that time were filled in  by the person coming around to the door and if the enumerator as just said where you from to the householder then he could have copied down the same info for all the family.

You are making assumptions that Evelyn's family filled the 1900 in as well what evidence is there to support that?  As anyone checked the later census ( I am assuming the later ones have been released.)

Ok the 1920 is on Ancestry (I dont have sub unfortunately) as is the 1930 and the 1920 census as a Mary E ASTBURY born circa 1895 living in Montgomery OH

I would still consider US as the birth.  It seems looking at the rules that the enumerator had to follow that if he could not ascertain from the householder the information then he had to answer what he believed to be true.  Ill quote "92. General.—Endeavor to obtain a positive answer to each inquiry according to the instructions herein given, but if an answer to any question can not be obtained from the persons in the family or t he neighborhood, as the law requires, enter, in all cases where possible, the answer you believe to be true. In no case should "Unknown" or "Un" be entered, unless every effort to obtain the desired information has been made. "

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 25 June 09 12:49 BST (UK) »
and of course, she wasnt on the passenger list apparently  ...

but I dont agree with your stmt 'therefore you go with the obvious ...' in every context.

Conan Doyle had it right ..... when you've eliminated the Impossible, no matter how improbable the apparent answer .....

Offline cathyaus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 25 June 09 13:37 BST (UK) »

Ok the 1920 is on Ancestry (I dont have sub unfortunately) as is the 1930 and the 1920 census as a Mary E ASTBURY born circa 1895 living in Montgomery OH

Rob
How does the above help or prove anything ?

In 1920 Mary Evelyn is living in England - married & continues to live in England until she dies in 1958.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 25 June 09 15:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Cathy

I've just had another look for her birth but can't see anything remotely likely. The only birth I can see in Staffordshire around that time is for an Ethel May Astbury reg Sept quarter 1893 6B 531. I doubt if they called her something completely different after registering it.

I think, as you said before, your best bet is to reorder the certificate and not give many details. Someone on here not long ago had the same problem and when they reordered it was the correct one. I think it was just something as simple as the father's name having a different spelling. Hope this turns out as successful for you.

Let us know, as it's always good to know the outcome.

Jan

Offline cathyaus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 09 July 09 06:52 BST (UK) »
Update -
I have contacted the Onondaga County Public Library in Syracuse, New York & they have looked up the Vital Records Index for a birth for Mary Evelyn Astbury from 1892 - 1900 & have found no record for the surname Astbury.

I am still no closer to finding a result.

The 1901 census shows a Mary Evelyn Astbury in Chester - so I believe that the birth certificate that I tried to order was definately the wrong one. "My" Mary Evelyn Astbury was living in New York at that time.