Author Topic: Help please with finding a birth - Mary Evelyn ASTBURY 1893  (Read 6542 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please with finding a birth - Mary Evelyn ASTBURY 1893
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 21 April 22 22:33 BST (UK) »
I note on this thread that Mary Evelyn died 1958 - who did she marry and when?   There are a couple of trees on Ancestry for her but neither state who she married.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cathyaus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 22 April 22 01:00 BST (UK) »
Mary Evelyn Astbury married Eddie SEDGWICK in 1920 at St Edward's Church, Rusholme, CHorlton, Manchester, Lancashire, England.
Sedgwick- George, Thomas, Charles, Eddie, Harry
Wilcockson - Thomas, Joseph, Edward, William Henry
Ruge -Christian, Wilhelm, August, Waldemar. Christian was  from Germany(until 1850 then Sth Australia then NSW)

Offline cathyaus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 22 April 22 01:03 BST (UK) »
jujenkinson
Oh wow - after so many years this post has been revived & with information that I didnt know about.

Thank you for posting the information - will need to go back to the tree - haven't touched it in years to see what questions I need to ask.

thanks again for posting

Cathy
Ruge -Christian, Wilhelm, August, Waldemar. Christian was  from Germany(until 1850 then Sth Australia then NSW)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 22 April 22 01:16 BST (UK) »
In 1921 she says she was born in America.  As she wasn't with the family when they arrived it is possible that she was adopted there.  By 1894 they had been married 8 years with just one surviving son so it wouldn't be unexpected.

I’ve never heard of a sister

She is there on the 1900 census.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6869-MR7

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 22 April 22 02:24 BST (UK) »
William was not talked about in the family because of his disgrace

In 1939 George is living in Heald Place, Manchester with his brother Edward and mother Mary, together with Edward's wife and possibly a child.  Mary Evelyn might be Evelyn M living in Princess Street not too far away.

Debra  :)

Offline cathyaus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 22 April 22 02:30 BST (UK) »
Yes that is her in Princess Street. It's been years since I did any research on the family tree - so will need to investigate 1939 Register as that will give her date of birth.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 22 April 22 04:41 BST (UK) »
Fact -there is no birth registered in England for Mary Evelyn Astbury 1893 or any female Astbury with mmn of Harrison.
Fact - she did not travel with Thomas, Mary and Willie in 1894 (either in departing passenger list or in the arrivals passenger list in New York).

If Thomas went initially in 1892 could she have been fathered by him to an unknown (to us) female and wife Mary agreed to raise her as their own or was she simply adopted by them sometime between 1894 and 1900.   Mary's birthdate is given as 24th May 1893.  Month/year consistent on records for Mary.

I don't know how US would have dealt with immigrant families with regards to the census.  If mother Mary didn't arrive until 1894 they could hardly say that their daughter Mary Evelyn born May 1893 was born in America could they without awkward questions being asked?

Certainly, there is no registered birth for her in England, she didn't travel with family in 1894 and all records clearly state she was born May 1893.   What the circumstances of her birth were have no idea - either she was simply adopted by them but they claimed she was their natural daughter OR possibly Thomas was indeed her father and she was conceived during his 1892 visit with a lady unknown and when they arrived in 1894 his wife agreed to raise her.

It's a real conundrum but I feel sure that Mary Evelyn was indeed born in the US as she claimed.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cathyaus

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 22 April 22 06:01 BST (UK) »
or as she would have been a baby when they travelled from England to US - Mary Evelyn Astbury may not have been listed.