Author Topic: Deaths on Whaling Boats 1860/1861  (Read 2078 times)

Offline anne50

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Deaths on Whaling Boats 1860/1861
« on: Wednesday 24 June 09 15:02 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone,

This is a long shot but i wondered if anyone could help. My Gt Gt Uncle Alexander Low Pickard, born in Longside, Aberdeenshire was a 16 year old lad, when the whaling boat he was on "The Alert", left Peterhead in Scotland in 1860, to fish in the Cumberland Strait.

Due to a bad captain, they never set sailed in time to come home, so were iced in. Because they had limited food onboard, a lot of them died, including Alexander. His death was due to scurvy and inadequate food.

All i know is, that he was buried at the Cumberland Strait along with a few others and then the ship set sail for home. The ship arrived home here in 1861.

Would anyone know if this would have been reported in a local newspaper, or if there is a graves anywhere, where they might be. Everything i have tried has come up a blank.

Thanks

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths on Whaling Boats 1860/1861
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 June 09 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

I'm linking this to a previous thread of yours so that Rootschatters who may be able to help you can see what background information has been found:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=5fd2d0b743f369c2dc4875a447943136&topic=308368.0

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)