Author Topic: DYBALL family in Deptford - when did Mary die, please?  (Read 3630 times)

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
DYBALL family in Deptford - when did Mary die, please?
« on: Thursday 25 June 09 09:07 BST (UK) »
My ancestor's sister, Mary Fletcher nee Sadd, married John Dyball in 1856 in Deptford. I have discovered a lot about John's occupations, where they were in census, civil registration details of his first wife and of his children, and I obtained a copy of his will after receiving his death certificate. Also, I visited Brockley Cemetery, where he is buried. He died in 1885 at 1 Reginald Road, Deptford, also known as May Cottage; the informant was Caroline Smith, a sister of Mary. John and Mary were there in 1881. In 1891, John's daughter Elizabeth was there with her husband Samuel Rutherford and their children. Caroline was next door. Mary is nowhere to be seen, unless she is in Camberwell with the wrong age given.

What I cannot discover is when Mary died. Quarter by quarter, the GRO indexes have been searched - in the, late lamented, Family Records Centre, and from the ancestry site, but the registration is not there. I know that sometimes deaths have not been registered, having found at least one occurrence of that recently. However, I would dearly love to know when she died. So, if anyone out there is researching the same family and has this vital piece of information, I should love to know it, please :-)

Mary was born in 1821 in Little Glemham Suffolk.

I feel sure that she would not have married again after John died. Apart from any other reason, he was a wealthy man, and his will stipulated that should she remarry, then she would forfeit everything.

Offline Ermintrude46

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Capture of the Maria Riggersbergen, Oct 18th 1806
    • View Profile
Re: DYBALL family in Deptford
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 25 June 09 22:30 BST (UK) »
Have you ruled this one out?

Deaths Dec 1917
Dibble  Mary  93  Greenwich  1d 1046

Age is a few years out, as is spelling but both of these could depend on who registered the death.
Ermy
Baldwin / Dixey / Rumble (Berkshire)
Burnsides / Corps / Harker / HINDLE / Longstaff / Martin / Page (Co. Durham)
Chalker / Glyde / Morris / Pitman / Stroud (Dorset)
BARTON / Heasman / Wheatley (East Sussex)
Baby / Silver / Silvester (Hampshire)
Cheeseman / JONES / Wood (Kent)
Chalker (Somerset)
Curtis / Davis / Stevens (Wiltshire)
Arcules / Carter / HINTON (Worcestershire)
~.~. main lines in CAPS .~.~

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 26 June 09 10:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking for her.

I think that lady, in the census, was born in Greenwich and was single. However, nothing ventured, nothing gained :-) - I shall email the register office to ask them.

Thank you.

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 June 09 08:44 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, the register office does not do searches.

Offline scruth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: DYBALL family in Deptford - when did Mary die, please?
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 January 10 19:56 GMT (UK) »
I have tree info for Samuel George Rutherford and Elizabeth if you want it (from Census and Parish Register), but no info for Mary.

Regards

Simon
Rutherford, Brook, Broughton, Culpitt/Copeland, McNamara,  Smith, Waddell (Bermondsey, Deptford, Limehouse, Poplar) Barnes (Newport, Llandybie), Pope (Newport, South Hams/Devon), Barrett (Newport), Sheppard (Newport, Bristol & Birmingham), Brain (Bristol, Cardiff), Flook (Newport & Bristol), Lewis (Llangorse) Peuss (London 1860)
The Pope family masons/builders, Pill Newport,
Newport Market (Barrett, Sheppard, Flook)
Deptford, Limehouse & Poplar Shipwrights
Mingay & Sandall (Norfolk)

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 January 10 18:24 GMT (UK) »
I have tree info for Samuel George Rutherford and Elizabeth if you want it (from Census and Parish Register), but no info for Mary.

Regards

Simon

I would be very pleased to receive it, thank you very much. This is what I have so far about Elizabeth:-

Elizabeth  Dyball was born in Deptford 1840.  Registered June qr Greenwich District.
She married Samuel Rutherford 1861.  Registered March qr Rotherhithe District.
Samuel was born in Deptford.  Samuel died 1901.  Registered December qr Greenwich District, age 68.

1861 census Bricklayer, age 28, b Deptford, wife Elizabeth, age 21, Samuel, age 8, b Deptford, at 5 Friendly Street, Deptford.
1871 census Bricklayer, age 38, Elizabeth, age 30, Elizabeth, age 9, George, age 4, Lennox, age 1, all children b Deptford, at 2 Peter Street, Deptford.
1881 census Bricklayer, age 48, Elizabeth, age 41, George, Bricklayer, age 16, Elizabeth, General servant, age 19, Lennox, age 13, John, age 10, Kate, age 6, Walter, age 3, Agnes, age 10 months, all children b Deptford, at 17 Addey Street, Deptford.
1891 census Bricklayer, age 56, Elizabeth, age 49, Catherine, age 16, Walter, aged 13, Agnes, age 10, at May Cottage, Reginald Road, Deptford.
1901 census Builder, age 67, own account, Elizabeth, age 61, John, Bricklayer, age 25, Catherine, age 21, Agnes, age 18, at 69 Lucas Street, Deptford.

Elizabeth died 1914 at 74 years of age.  Registered June qr Greenwich District, age 74.

1841 census age 1, in New Row, Deptford.
1851 census Wood Cutter, age 11, at Old King Street, St Nicholas, Deptford.
1861 census age 21, at 5 Friendly Street, Deptford.
1871 census age 30, at 2 Peter Street, Deptford.
1881 census age 41, at 17 Addey Street, Deptford.
A witness on, and beneficiary in the will of her father John Dyball.
1891 census age 49, at May Cottage, Reginald Road, Deptford.
1901 census age 61, at 69 Lucas Street, Deptford.
1911 census age 71, Greenwich District.

In the last few days, someone has searched probate records for a will for Mary up to 1920; there was none. Perhaps, given the wording of John's will, it had not been necessary for her to make a will. I doubt that she would have remarried, but I could be wrong.

There is a Mary Mary Ann Fletcher whose death was registered in Greenwich District during the September quarter of 1895, age 76, and I have sent an email to the register office asking if she was the widow of John Dyball;  it occurred to me that perhaps the registration was made with her former surname.

Offline Southwinds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 July 17 12:47 BST (UK) »
Have you traced Marys death? I am a Dyball descendant.. and doing their family tree and so interested  in your findings .. thank you 

Offline Joy Dean

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 July 17 16:09 BST (UK) »
Have you traced Marys death? I am a Dyball descendant.. and doing their family tree and so interested  in your findings .. thank you

No, I am still searching :)
Can you help me with my search?

Offline Southwinds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 July 17 18:23 BST (UK) »
I have found Elizabeth Dyball later Rutherford living at May Cottage on the 1891 Census . This dosnt help with the death of Mary but would show she hadn't sold the house as its still in the family in 1891 . Not sure if this helps or not.