Author Topic: Lookup on Rookwood Cemetery please  (Read 3023 times)

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup on Rookwood Cemetery please
« Reply #9 on: Friday 26 June 09 13:15 BST (UK) »
Mick there is no headstone for either Rees or Kate/Kathleen Adelaide RYAN nee LEWIS.

Cheers
Cando

As per cando's post I agree there are likely no headstone's for Rees LEWIS aka Peter LEWIS (as per his Death Certificate).
Whilst I would like to know/confirm Rees and Kate are buried there, I don't feel it's worth investing much time or effect.

Thanks for your offer and the map link
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline tabily

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 27 June 09 23:32 BST (UK) »
Hi BikerMick...
I don't know if you have been to Rookwood..but I have spent lots of time trudging round there..
The independant part is online

http://www.rookwoodindependent.com.au/index.aspx

which is excellent ..

The church of england part isn't...and it is HUGE..the map looks simple but it isnt... When finding some of my Lewins I went 3 times (with the section and grave number and then even calling the office on my mobile!) and was lucky enough to stumble on a "friend of Rookwood" gardener who helped the last time... There are graves as far as the eye can see... It is one of the most beautiful, yet frustrating places I have ever been!

Anyway..I have found the best way is to call the office and give them the 3rd degree..they can tell you who owned the grave and addresses, who is actually in it.. 02 9746 2177 ..If you're not in sydney I am happy to do it if you like
cheers
caroline
Beatty - Rathfriland, Ireland, Beattie - Sydney, Australia, Lewin - UK, Australia, Henderson - Scotland/Australia, Winter- Germany/Australia, Leverton - Devon/Australia, Smith, Sisson, Barr - Ireland/Australia, Hayes - Ireland/Australia, Forbes - Scotland/Newcastle, Australia

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 27 June 09 23:48 BST (UK) »
Caroline,
Thanks for your offer.

As I hope in the near future to visit a brother near Newcastle, I intent to pay a visit then if I have time.

Mick

I'm in sunny Qld not far from Bris.
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland

Offline tabily

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 June 09 00:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Mick..

You'll love it!! My advice is to wear long boots/wellies.. there is long grass and lots of wildlife to disturb. an holes to fall down etc  If you are looking in the anglican section..try and go when the office is open so they can give you the maps and give you the exact location.. and the cafe at the front gates is fantastic for lunch!
cheers
Caroline
Beatty - Rathfriland, Ireland, Beattie - Sydney, Australia, Lewin - UK, Australia, Henderson - Scotland/Australia, Winter- Germany/Australia, Leverton - Devon/Australia, Smith, Sisson, Barr - Ireland/Australia, Hayes - Ireland/Australia, Forbes - Scotland/Newcastle, Australia

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 June 09 00:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Caroline ;D

The Catholic and Jewish burial records at Rookwood Cemetery are also online and hopefully the Anglican records will be soon.

You may like to browse the NSW resources
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,369703.0.html

There is also resource which lists the inscriptions of headstones at Rookwood.  If there is no memorial inscription for Mick's people, as according to the records,  there is no headstone.  Of course as with all transcriptions, errors do occur.

I have found the staff at the Anglican office to be extremely helpful.

Cheers
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk