Author Topic: Edward Edwards from Halkyn  (Read 6791 times)

Offline FlowerBD20

• I am sorry but I have turned off email notifications
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Edwards from Halkyn
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 12:51 BST (UK) »
Brilliant! Thankyou so much. Yes I have found the family scattered between church in Halkyn and chapel in Holywell. Some children christened in Holywell are buried in Halkyn, as is Elizabeth herself in 1838. Children Mary, William, Thomas and Joseph are all christened in Halkyn Church, 1822, 1831, 1832 and 1834 respectively and I have linked the two sets of events because Jane baptised 14 Sep 1823 Holywell is buried in Halkyn Oct 4the 1823 aged 3 weeks, parents in both cases John Edwards and Elizabeth (Roberts). So I think this is all one family but the sticking point is that John is a miner (although for William's christening he is a labourer).

Offline FlowerBD20

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 30 January 10 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Update to the above. I am now half convinced that this may be 'my' family and have found John (new wife Mary Ann) in the 1841 census in Halkyn with sons Edward (1827), Robert(1829) and Joseph(1834) which matches the baptisms. Also there in 1851 with Joseph still at home and a new daughter Hannah (1842). She and Mary are alone in 1861, still in Halkyn and there is no sign of Edward (as there shouldn't be if he is 'my' Edward as he is in Liverpool. I still can't link up the two families but it is looking more likely. Can anyone check Hannah's baptism for me?

Offline FlowerBD20

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 28 February 10 15:32 GMT (UK) »

Hi again, The transcription I have now bought says mother Mary Bulkeley, not Margaret. Are you looking at a different version? I have since found two baptisms for Elizabeth which would both fit, one 1798 the other 1799 both fathers Robert Roberts, one mother Mary, no maiden name, the other Margaret Bulkeley. Don't want to go blundering off down the wrong line (been there done that), Flower

Halkyn marriage Sep 8 1821.
John Edwards(x) of this parish. Bachelor. Son of Robert Edwards. Labourer and Jane Thomas his wife.
Elizabeth Roberts(x) o.t.p. Spinster. d/o. Robert Roberts. Miner. and Margaret Bulkeley? his wife.
Witnesses. Walter Lloyd. & Catherine Oldfield.
(x)=didn't sigh made mark.

The only baptism I could see for John Edwards & Elizabeth Roberts in Halkyn to 1830.
Feb 2 1822. Mary. d/o John Edwards & Elizabeth Roberts. Llan Township. Fathers Occ, Miner.
After that did they go Chapel?  :-\

Paul

Offline FlowerBD20

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Edwards from Halkyn*COMPLETED*
« Reply #21 on: Friday 08 October 10 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi there everyone, an update to the previous. I now have the cert for John's second marriage (1839) and the cert for his first wife's death(1838) and the cert for his daughter Hannah's birth(1842). All state 'miner' or 'labourer' but I have a new theory I'd like to try out. Any Welsh speakers out there? Is it possible that the words for miner and farmer in Welsh could be misheard for one another? The marriage is in St David's Welsh church in Liverpool where I know the Welsh language was used, the other events take place in Flintshire. My own knowledge of Welsh is too rudimentary to answer this question but I've been wondering if the 'm' might be mutated to 'f' as I know it does sometimes? I have traced lots of branches of both halves of this family and they don't yet appear to meet up but I live in Hope (as indeed did some of them!) Love, Flower