Author Topic: Scott family Melrose  (Read 10425 times)

Offline Hirdy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scott family Melrose
« on: Friday 26 June 09 03:25 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out further information on the family of Andrew Scott and Joan Hope.  My relative is Robert Scott b. 1818 who emigrated to Australia in 1850s.  Before he emigrated he had married and had several children, but it appears that they all died before he came to Australia.  In Australia he married and had several sons in Melbourne before emigrating to NZ where is had at least 2 daughters.  He was a baker.  I'm not sure where he died (either Aus or NZ).

Robert had several siblings which I am researching.

Alexander b. 1803
James b. 1805
Margaret b. 1810
Andrew b. 1812
George b. 1814
John b. 1816 (emigrated to NY in 1854)

I am also interested in any information on his parents Andrew and Joan.  Both died in the 1850s.

Any info. appreciated.

Chris

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Scott family Melrose
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 July 09 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hirdy- All the family were born in Melrose but i cant find their marriage.The only marriage is Andrew Scott and JANE not JOAN Hope is 8-12-1845 in Hawick.so maybe they done the honorable thing before emigrating.All the children are listed in the Parish records and the above marr.You mentioned he was a baker? There is a William Scott ,a Baker in Melrose who died 11-10-1858 aged 62 with a wife Elizabeth Hay .The 1851 census shows them at 73 High Street Melrose as a baker employing 4 men with a son John aged 26yrs and Thomas aged 24 also jorneymen bakers also a daughter Janet 22 yrs and James aged 9 .
Hope this helps to confuse you more
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline Hirdy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 July 09 02:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that information, but not right family.  Andrew Scott and Joan Hope married in Melrose in 1803.  I don't know what Andrew Scott did, but it appears that several of his sons were bakers.  Robert Scott, his son, was the only one to emigrate to Australia, with John going to US. 

Robert was married before he married my ggg grandmother Sarah Ann Body in Aus 1859.  The marriage certificate says that he was a widower with 2 children that had died.  I am assuming that this all happened in Scotland, although I may be wrong and it may have occurred in Aus before 1859. 

I'll keep searching.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 July 09 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

Have you been in touch with the lady from the US descended from John Scott who left for the US? She has numerous posts on the web, some links below:

http://genforum.genealogy.com/scotland/roxburghshire/messages/219.html
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/SCOTLAND-GENWEB/2004-03/1080194234
http://newsarch.rootsweb.com/th/read/BORDER/2007-06/1180797970

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 July 09 09:48 BST (UK) »
You could try looking for family members on the early censuses. www.freecen.org.uk has 100% coverage of Roxburghshire for 1841 and 1851. Make sure you click on the right census year at the top of the page.

Monica

Offline Hirdy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 July 09 11:15 BST (UK) »
Monica,
Thanks for those links.  We are both searching for details about the same family and are both directly related.  I have tried to make contact, so will see what happens.  At least I can confirm that the Robert Scott she is looking for did emigrate to Australia and I am one of his ggggrand daughters.

Chris :)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 July 09 11:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

I hope you are able to make contact :)  She refers in one of her posts to family information recording Robert and 2 sons and 2 daughters (?). Also, she has confirmed Joan Hope's details through her death cert and place of burial at Linton in 1855. Andrew looks to have died pre 1855 and the start of official registration.

Monica

Offline Hirdy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 July 09 12:44 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately, the latest email address for Joan has bounced back, so no luck there.  Your details confirm what is on Sarah's death certificate, atlhough a Margaret is listed as dead in 1911. 

Maybe Joan will read these emails and reply to me.

Chris

Offline bjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 July 09 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris
I am researching the same family - there are records to show the family returned to England in 1875 coming back to Australia in 1880 but minus Robert. maybe he died there. I just found thesse records this weekend.