Author Topic: Scott family Melrose  (Read 10426 times)

Offline Hirdy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scott family Melrose
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 09 July 09 03:24 BST (UK) »
Yes, I think that now makes sense.

Chris

Offline bridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 27 September 09 00:02 BST (UK) »
I have just starting researching this family for a friend of my mother's.  She is the grand-daughter of Minnie Jessie Scott who was supposed to have been born in New Zealand, but I can not find proof. 

When she married John Joseph Lane in 1885 she said that she had been born in Gertrude St, Fitzroy, Melbourne.  Because she was 19 her mother Sarah Ann Brown had to give permission and so I presumed that this would be correct.

However when she died she is listed as being born in New Zealand.  I can not find her birth in either birth indexes.

The family story goes that Robert Scott and family returned to Edinburgh, Scotland after their stay in New Zealand.  When Robert died Sarah took herself and her children back to Melbourne.  They must have been used to a comfortable life in Scotland, as it came as a rude shock to the children that they had to go out and work when they arrived in Melbourne.

Yesterday I found the Scottish death certificate for Robert.  He died on 21st Jan 1879 in Edinburgh from delerium tremens.  There is no mention of his first wife on his death certifcate.  However on the marriage certificate to Minnie he did say that he had been a widower in April 1853 and had two deceased children and none living.

Ihave located their return to Australia.  They arrived in June 1880 on "Liguria".  Mrs S A was 38, Andrew 19, Robert 18, Sarah 16 and Minnie 12.

When Minnie was quite old she apparently found out that she had other half siblings but no-one ever found out who they might be.  My friend believes that they were Scott children.  However as Sarah Ann Scott remarried Henry Brown, they could have been his children, or step-siblings, that she was referring to.

Sue

Offline bridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 27 September 09 00:49 BST (UK) »
I have just been writing a timeline for Robert Scott

1818 born in Newtown, Melrose, Roxburghshire, Scotland
married unknown woman
2 children are born and die
1853, April, wife died
Migrated to Australia
1859 married Sarah Ann Body in Fitzroy, Melbourne
1860 son Andrew born in Collingwood, Melbourne
1861 son Robert born in Collingwood, Melbourne
Migrated to New Zealand
1863 daughter Sarah Ann born
1865-6 Minnie Jessie born - place uncertain
migrated back to Australia
1875 migrated to London
1879 died in Edinburgh, Scotland
1880 Sarah Ann and family return to Melbourne
1884 Sarah Ann married Joseph Brown
1911 Sarah Ann died in Melbourne

I have looked at the Robert Scott migrations to Victoria and there is one entry that is possible.  He was 39 in 1854 arriving on the Fulwood.  I will have check the details at the Archives to see if this man is listed as a baker.

Sue

Offline Hirdy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 27 September 09 01:10 BST (UK) »
Sue,

All your information confirms everything I know about Robert Scott and his children.  The only thing that has been stumping me is the death details of Robert, but you have solved that.  Have you got a copy of the certificate?  I am a direct descendent of Sarah Ann Scott who married Thomas Rippon Haslam. 

I have been communicating with another lady in Melbourne who has also been following this line, and a lady in US who is interested in the brother of Robert Scott, John who emigrated to US. 

Love to swap further info. as I have some quite a lot of info.

Chris

Offline bridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 27 September 09 01:17 BST (UK) »
Does this mean that you have confirmation about Minnie's birth?

I am about to look in Papers Past (NZ) to see if anything is mentioned in the Dunedin papers.

Regards
Sue

Offline bjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 27 September 09 05:35 BST (UK) »
Sarah and second husband Henry had a son Edward - half sibling for Minnie.
Henry had six living children when he married Sarah - step siblings for Minnie.

Robert first married Eliza Hall who had been his shopkeeper in Edinburgh. they married in 1851 had a son  Andrew in 1852 - then I presumed Eliza may have died in childbirth with their second child  in 1853.

Offline bridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 22 November 10 20:31 GMT (UK) »
I found entries in the Argus, now online, which told of Eliza's death (10th April 1853) , then an ad for a wet nurse and then the death of Robert's daughter Jessie Eliza (d23 April 1853).

I still have not found Robert arriving into Melbourne.

I am helping one of Minnie's grand daughters (now herself a great grandmother) and will be meeting with her this weekend in Sydney.

Regards
Sue