Author Topic: Birth, Marriage certificate help please  (Read 7077 times)

Offline Danchaslyn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth, Marriage certificate help please
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 15:01 BST (UK) »

:)

Hello Ceeoh

Yes, exactly, thank you.  I've seen both, but haven't seen a Death  CERTIFICATE for decades.

Would it show anything besides the names of person who died, date of death, cause of death, place of death and possibly home address?

I know with the Death NOTICES I currently have, from NAAIRS, they are so very helpful, as they do show the parents of the deceased, even siblings, along with all the above details as listed for the Death Certificate, bar the Cause of Death.

Perhaps more modern Death Certificates that the ones I have seen depict familial information?

Cheers

Danchaslyn

MOE,   Norway, Swaziland, and Zululand, South Africa
JORGENSON, Hole, Ringerike, Buskurud, Norway
AITKEN,  Scotland, England, India, Island of St Helena, South Africa
LOBB,  India and London
WALSH,  India and England
SHORT,  Yorkshire, England, Island of St Helena
BATEMAN,  Island of St Helena, U.S.A.
YUILL,  U.S.A.
FIRTH,  Yorkshire, Engand
LIPTROT, various counties of England
SMITH,  various counties of England
LYNCH,  Yorkshire, England, Rhodesia and South Africa

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Danchaslyn
To be honest I don't know what is shown on a death certificate these days - I would say it wouldn't be anywhere near as detailed as a death notice, however, a death notice is only as accurate as the person supplying the information can make it.  Sometimes folk don't actually know where someone was born, or the deceased's parent's names, etc.

A death certificate would be as near as possible correct with regards to date of death, place of death(things of the moment).

I will find out about certificates and post later.

Regards

Ceeoh

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 18:50 BST (UK) »
Sorry to say not much to be discovered about certificates.

It would appear that the minimum information appears on a death certificate, this is supplied by the undertaker to Home Affairs (I think) so he can bury the deceased.

What is shown is:
Name of deceased
Age of deceased
Date of death
Cause (this is a "sticky" one)

On a piece of paper A5, so obviously an abridged one.

The norm seems to be that the cause of death is now always "by natural causes" unless it was a criminal death, (or I presume something like a road accident), not helpful for anyone researching hereditary illnesses.

Cancer, pneumonia, diabetes, heart attack, etc., would all be shown as natural causes!

Whether any other details would appear on an unabridged certificate I don't know, but certainly the death by natural causes is a "protective" measure.

These details may differ from province to province

Perhaps someone who has seen a recent certificate can give a more detailed description.

Ceeoh

Offline Danchaslyn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 19:47 BST (UK) »

Hello Ceeoh

Both your posts are so interesting and informative, thank you so much.

The Death Certificate is as I remember them, usually signed 'off' by your own General Practitioner, depending on where the person had died, and, as you say, the undertaker plays quite a role.

The Death Notices, on the other hand  (from NAAIRS) are full of information, and certainly for me, have been in some instances the actual key to doors which previously have refused to budge.

Lorand, like yourself, I couldn't find anywhere, my paternal grandfather's, wife's maiden name.  From NAAIRS I recently acquired one of his daughter's Death Notice, and there was her mother's maiden name!  Country of birth, all spousal details, all offspring details, date of death, place of death, home address etc etc.

What was great, that from not being able to find out anything, this Death Notice divulging the maiden name of the wife, led me to search on IGI, and the only time this has happened for me, her family's full Pedigree was there, right back to 1650!

Cheers

Danchaslyn

MOE,   Norway, Swaziland, and Zululand, South Africa
JORGENSON, Hole, Ringerike, Buskurud, Norway
AITKEN,  Scotland, England, India, Island of St Helena, South Africa
LOBB,  India and London
WALSH,  India and England
SHORT,  Yorkshire, England, Island of St Helena
BATEMAN,  Island of St Helena, U.S.A.
YUILL,  U.S.A.
FIRTH,  Yorkshire, Engand