Author Topic: Birth Cert info - illegitimate births  (Read 3130 times)

Offline chris.corrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Birth Cert info - illegitimate births
« on: Friday 25 February 05 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I was under the impression that illegitimate births did not name the father on the birth cert.
However I have a birth cert for William Fuller WEST born Dec 1837 at Brighton Place Cottages, which names his father as William FULLER & mother as Harriet WEST - no maiden name given.
The later marriage cert states that William was illegitimate.
I am having problems finding any info on the father named  William FULLER (other than he was a butcher)
Any suggestions gratefully received
Thanks
Chris

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birth Cert info - illegitimate births
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 February 05 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris, it certainly wasn't the norm so you could say that you just struck lucky perhaps   ;D

Where was Brighton Place Cottages?

Have you searched the 1841 census for the area in which William was born to see if Mr FULLER, the butcher, is around anywhere?

They didn't go on to marry then?  Did he marry somebody else either before or after young William's birth? 

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline acorngen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 February 05 20:39 GMT (UK) »
I would second all that Cas said but would add that for the father to be named on the birth cert that he was present at the registration.  For an unmarried person then as is now for a father to be named he as to specifically state he is the father of the child.  From that I would suggest that they may have been living together but were unmarried.  It is then possible that he died or moved on at a later period.

The term iligitimate means that the mother was unmarried at the time of birth and not that the father was not known.

Rob
WYATT, COX, STRATTON, all from south Derbyshire and the STS, LEI border Burns Fellows Gough Wilks from STS in particular Black Country and now heading into SOP

Offline chris.corrall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 February 05 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rob & Cas

Your replies have been helpful. I did have some help from another lister re the 1841 census but couldn't find  William Fuller the butcher.
As he say he may have moved or died.
I will concentrate on Harriet to see if I can find her later.
Cheers
Chris

Offline HeatherB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 August 15 09:20 BST (UK) »
Perhaps he left the country, might pay to look at shipping records from that time on. Joined the army or navy.
Sometimes males intend to send for their partner but either get involved with someone else or dont find a life that leads up to the expectations that they had :D.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 August 15 09:36 BST (UK) »
I would second all that Cas said but would add that for the father to be named on the birth cert that he was present at the registration.  For an unmarried person then as is now for a father to be named he as to specifically state he is the father of the child.  From that I would suggest that they may have been living together but were unmarried.  It is then possible that he died or moved on at a later period.

The term iligitimate means that the mother was unmarried at the time of birth and not that the father was not known.

Rob

That only applies from 1875!
Before that time a person registering a birth could mention any name as the father of the child - no questions asked!
The Births and Deaths Act 1874 ensured that the putative father had to be present at the Registration.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jan57

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 August 15 09:45 BST (UK) »
 This maybe  Harriet,   and  putting William  down as nephew ,   as she's  single

1851  census    Marine Parade   Brighton 

Harriet West  38   head   Unmarried ,  Lodging House  Keeper  born Goring    Sussex 
 Willm West  14   nephew   ,  servant   born   Brighton

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 August 15 09:52 BST (UK) »
Possibly a name pulled out of thin air rather than admit who the true father was or even admit she did not know who the father was.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 August 15 10:05 BST (UK) »
Bit like the assumption that if the baby's mum was a married woman that it was her husband who was the father of the child....   Particularly interesting for colonials in the late 1830s .... if the husband was part of a garrison force in the penal colonies and his wife was back in Britain and they had been separated by those circumstances for say three or four years, and suddenly she has a new born baby ....

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.