Author Topic: NSW birth Henry MATTHEWS lookup please  (Read 1646 times)

Offline mcvicars

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
NSW birth Henry MATTHEWS lookup please
« on: Friday 26 June 09 18:28 BST (UK) »
Tracibng my gradnfather's tree, Walter Newnes MATTHEWS born in 1907 to Henry and Rosannah in Wallerawang NSW. Trying to find birth record for his father Henry MATTHEWS as well as marriage record for Henry and Rosannah (pre-1907), thankyou in anticiopation of any assitance
regards
mcvicars
Craig - Glasgow and Perthshire Scotland; Matthews -Lithgow,Wattle Flat NSW, Co Louth Ireland; Marshall - Broxburn, Scotland and Antrim Ireland; McVicars - Antrim Ireland; McPeake, McAtamney-Co Derry, Ireland, Wattle Flat NSW;  Evans, Richards- Cornwall, Wallsend/Newcastle.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: NSW birth Henry MATTHEWS lookup please
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 June 09 01:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Mcvicars

You can have a good search on the NSW BDM online website.
Once you have the registration numbers for your events, you can order your certificates or hire an agent to assist with transcription.

http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/cgi-bin/Index/IndexingOrder.cgi/search?event=births

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 June 09 10:44 BST (UK) »
The only Matthews married to a Rosanna - as spelt on her death listing - is to Albert E Matthews. This is in 1904

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline mcvicars

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 June 09 19:50 BST (UK) »
thanks Sue but I still can't find any record to match Henry's marriage to Roseannah - altho they are listed as WALTER Newnes' parents on his birth cert in 1907:  HENRY &  ROSANNAH  , WALLERAWANG and as  HENRY&  ROSEANNE on his death cert. Then  ablank on Henry & Rosannah's (Roseanne's) lineage?
thanks if you can help point me in right direction
Craig - Glasgow and Perthshire Scotland; Matthews -Lithgow,Wattle Flat NSW, Co Louth Ireland; Marshall - Broxburn, Scotland and Antrim Ireland; McVicars - Antrim Ireland; McPeake, McAtamney-Co Derry, Ireland, Wattle Flat NSW;  Evans, Richards- Cornwall, Wallsend/Newcastle.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 June 09 09:25 BST (UK) »
Have you got the death certs for Henry and Rosanna?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline mcvicars

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 June 09 09:31 BST (UK) »
No - I'm not sure I can trace Henry nor Rosannah (sic) to ensure I have the right ones?

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 June 09 15:03 BST (UK) »
On the Ryerson Index there is mention of a Probate notice for Walter Newnes MATTHEWS, Lithgow Herald, 26 Sep 1983.  Shouldn't think it would be much help in finding his parents, though!

http://ryersonindex.net/search.php

I assume you have the marriage for Walter
2985/1928  Walter N MATTHEWS  to Annie MARSHALL at  LITHGOW 

There is this entry (NSW BMDs )also - but 20 years difference in birth date to Walter
16215/1888  Amy MATTHEWS    father Henry,  mother Rosannah at  SOFALA   

And another snippet which may have nothing to do with anything!

1936 Electoral Roll shows: Division of MacQuarie, subdivision of Lithgow
Myrtle Rose MATHEWS, living at Newnes, home duties.

With Walter's middle name being Newnes and this lady having 'Rose' as part of her name............  Newnes is 37km form Wallerarang and another 9km on to Lithgow which is where Walter was married.

All of which led me to search NSW BMDs using Mathews with one 't' but again drew a blank.

1930 Electoral Roll shows: Division of MacQuarie, subdivision of Lithgow
Walter Newnes MATTHEWS, Percy St, Mort's estate, Lithgow, tool grinder
also Henry (labourer) and Annie (home duties) MATHEWS, at Mount St, Mort's estate.  (I have been careful to copy the number of 't's)
Can't see Walter in 1936 which is the extent of my access.

I think I have just made things worse  ::)

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mcvicars

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 June 09 15:32 BST (UK) »
thanks Judith, it does seem a tricky one this.
Yes I have marriage cert of Walter & Annie ( they were my grandparents).
The Myrtle clue might be worth following. I know Walter was R Catholic.
Even if Amy Mathews was his sister (given she also had Henry & Rosannah as parents)  - it still leaves a blank on any records for Henry and Rosannah. Could they have come out from the UK perhaps? How best to search that?
Or maybe I could try other states?