Author Topic: GELDING/GILDING family of Gamston - COMPLETED  (Read 4316 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
GELDING/GILDING family of Gamston - COMPLETED
« on: Saturday 27 June 09 16:54 BST (UK) »
I am researching the Gelding/Gelding family - or trying to - but have hit a big brick wall. It starts with my ancestor William Gabbitas who married Jane Gelding in 1842 in Nottingham. According to all the censuses, Jane was born in Gamston, Notts. - but there are quite a few Gamstons. I believe she was from the Gamston near West Bridgford. She was born about 1815, but that is only very approximate as her age jumps around a bit on the censuses. I don't know if it would be possible for anyone to lookup a birth of Jane Gilding/Gelding near Nottingham around that date.

Also, some other info that I have to go on it that William & Jane Gabbitas's neice, Jane Kirkman, was living with they in 1861. The other censuses show that Jane was the daughter of William Kirkman & Amy (also spelled Amey). Amy was born in Gamston also, making me think that she was Jane's sister. The problem is that when she got married to William Kirkman, she used the name Amy Davis. In 1841, Jane Gilding was living with "Emma" Davis and two children Mary and Reuben, but there was no father. I'm guessing that Amy first married to a Davis, then to William Kirkman...but I don't have any records at all to back that up. So if anyone could lookup Amy or Jane's marriages and births, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Alexander

Offline Robin Hood

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: GELDING/GILDING family of Gamston???
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 June 09 17:01 BST (UK) »
Hi
 Not sure if this is a help or hindrance. There is a christening Nottm St Marys 26.11.1840 Reuben Davis, Father listed as John Davis  and  Mother Amy. This appears to be the Reuben in the 1841 Census.
Hubbard, Read, Pinkett, Eastwood, Willetts, Whitehouse, Wilson, Cook(e),Goodman

Offline Robin Hood

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 June 09 17:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

Could this be the wedding. West Bridgford 14.7.1834 John Davies/ Amey Gilding  (as shown)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 June 09 17:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks Robin Hood! That verifies that Amey was the sister of Jane. Still looking for their baptisms, though...

Do you know which church in West Bridgford John & Amey got married in, and were there any other Gildings that got married there?

Thanks again,
Alexander

Offline Robin Hood

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 June 09 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi
Notts FHS transcipts has these in addition to the one I gave you.

Gilding

William/Mary Clayton 30.10.1797

Ann/William Ellison 19.2.1821

Sarah/Thomas Brownlow 4.6.1827

Elizabeth/WilliamManderfield 24.11.1828

Edith/John Boulton 10.2.1851

West Bridgford St Giles

Nb There is a Jane Gelding/John Woom 13.11.1697 Married at Wilford, which is also adjacent to West Bridgford

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 June 09 20:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you again for these and the PM.  :)

Alexander

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GELDING/GILDING family of Gamston
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 August 09 18:48 BST (UK) »
I just wanted to update this thread for future reference. I have now found Jane Gilding's baptism: 18 May 1817 at West Bridgford St. Giles. She was the twelfth (and last, thank goodness!) child of William Gilding and Mary Claytor. I also found her sister Amy baptised in 1815. The Claytor (often mistranscribed as Clayton) family was from Radcliffe on Trent and Holme Pierrepont nearby while the Gildings seem to have come from just over the Leicestershire border.

Alexander

Offline daisyrose

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GELDING/GILDING family of Gamston - COMPLETED
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 February 10 00:02 GMT (UK) »
I am interested to see that you have information on the Claytors of Holme Pierrepont and Radcliffe - I have ancestry in  this family.. . . do you also?

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: GELDING/GILDING family of Gamston - COMPLETED
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 February 10 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi daisyrose...and welcome to RootsChat.  :)

My ancestor was the Mary Claytor above, born 1774 in Radcliffe on Trent - married to William Gilding.

Mary was the eldest child of Samuel CLAYTOR and his wife Mary HULL. This Samuel was the son of one Francis CLAYTOR and Elizabeth HAYWOOD, born 1755 in Radcliffe. I believe that this Francis was from Whatton, Notts. I have done a little research into the HULLs also, which seems to be quite a rare name in Notts at the time. Mary HULL was the daughter of Thomas HULL and Sarah WRIGHT.

What is your connection to the Claytors?

Regards
Alexander