Author Topic: Bridgett Sharkey/Mullins  (Read 1676 times)

Offline applepie24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bridgett Sharkey/Mullins
« on: Saturday 27 June 09 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone!

This is my first ever forum post so please bear with me! 
I am looking for any information on my great, great grandparents.

The family story is that Bridgett and 'Jack' met on a boat to england from Ireland (Kilkenny).  She was alone with children and he was single. They thought that they wouldn't be allowed in the country, so they married on the boat. 

I have also been told that they 'adopted' another family's surname in the process. And that someone along the way was called OShaugnessy (or something similar).

I have traced Bridgett Sharkey on the 1881 census as a widow with 4 children, Thomas (11), Martin (9), Michael (7) and Mary (4).

Her neighbour is Bryan Mullins, also from Ireland.

They were married in 1891 and in the 1891 census they have 3 children, John (7), Bernard (4) and Bridget (2).

In the 1901 census John and Bernard are inmates in the Chesterfield Workhouse.

I can't find any information on Bryan or Bridgett (or her late husband) before or after these dates.  I would appreciate any information anyone can give me on this subject as I fear that I am stuck and cannot find a way to continue the trail.

Thank you,

Laura

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgett Sharkey/Mullins
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 June 09 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hello and Welcome

Just a few observations (to get the ball rolling) ....

From the Birth Registration Indexes it looks like Mary in 1877, Bernard in 1886 and Bridget in 1889 were registered in Chesterfield as Shaughneisey, Shaughnesey and Shaughnessy respectively. John in 1885 seems to have been registered as Sharkey - www.freebmd.org.uk/

In 1892 there is a death registered in Chesterfield for a Bridget Mullins aged 48. This is not too inconsistent with her age from the 1881 census although she was shown to be younger in 1891 (but perhaps that was because Bryan was younger). If this was her, it might provide a part of the answer.

On the 1901 census there is also an Annie Mullins aged 12 shown in the Union Workhouse with John and Bernard. I suspect that she is the sister who was originally called Bridget.

posteria
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 June 09 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hello,
In 1881 Bridgett has a lodger with her - Winefred Holien and there is a death for her in December quarter 1882- Winefred Holian. I wonder if she is a relative- even mother to Bridgett? It's an odd surname but recorded more or less the same in the two records.
Just thought, I wonder if it is a variation of Houlihan etc.  :-\

1891 has both Bryan and Bridgett born Kilkenny but this may be just recording them both together perhaps :-\

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline posteria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 June 09 00:11 BST (UK) »

If no positive information emerges in the next few days, I think that I might be tempted to obtain the Birth Certificate for Bernard Shaughnesey, if it were my own family.

It should provide all of the surnames that Bridget has had over the previous years and it might also specify who his father was. ...

1886 Chesterfield, December Quarter, GRO reference 7b 678

posteria

... assuming that it is the right Bernard.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 June 09 00:17 BST (UK) »
That's a good idea- in fact the only way, I think, is to obtain a birth certificate and see what transpires.

Offline applepie24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 June 09 01:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the ideas Posteria and Heywood!

Wow, that's strange, registering almost all of your kids with different surnames.

I did wonder if Annie was infact Bridget. 

I also found a Bridgett Mullins in the same workhouse as the kids aged 57 as a 'pauper inmate' in the 1901 census. The dates for this are also a little out so I can't tell for sure if this is her or if she did die in 1892.

I never even thought to check out Winefred.  I thought that she may have travelled over with Bridgett but didn't think that she could be related.

Yes, I think I may have to buy a birth certificate.  Who do you think is best to choose, Bernard or one of Bridgett's earlier children, as that may explain the Sharkey name?

Also, I have seen the birth certificates for sale at £19.99 each.  Is this the standard price for these documents or can they be obtained cheaper elsewhere?

Thanks

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 28 June 09 10:08 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

don't pay that amount - it's £7 (I think).  Here is the General Records Office site
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

also you can order from the local register office http://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/community/births_marriages_deaths/register_offices/default.asp
for the same price.

Ideally, the birth certificate would show you the father's name and occupation and also the mother's name and any previous surnames.

The Shaugnessy variations are understandable - people wouldn't know accurate spellings and a near guess would do  :D As for Sharkey- that could be misunderstanding I suppose but could equally be a different name entirely.
The 'gh' can be pronounced as a 'k'.

When you do apply you have to give as much detail as you can, so you have the mother as Bridgett and fingers crossed, something useful will turn up.

best wishes
heywood

Offline Doodz13

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 November 23 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Laura,
              I’ve been researching my great grandmother Bridgett Noakley/Sharkey/Shaughnessy/Mullins. I’ve found that she was born in1843 and sadly died in the Mickelover asylum in 1924. My great grandfather Martin Sharkey/Shaughnessy died after a river accident in Chesterfield in1878 leaving Bridgett and four children, Thomas Patrick, Martin, Michael (my granddad) and Mary. She had 3 more children with Bryan Mullins before they married in 1891, John, Bernard & Bridgett. Annie the youngest, whom I remember, was born in 1892. Bryan died in 1902 after falling down the stairs. I have various newspaper articles regarding all of this.
Best wishes, Steve Shaughnessy.