Author Topic: Edward BUTCHER of Goring???, Suffolk  (Read 5668 times)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Edward BUTCHER of Goring???, Suffolk
« on: Sunday 28 June 09 03:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find the baptism of my ancestor Edward Butcher. He was born about 1800. The 1851 census lists his birthplace as Goring?, Suffolk and in 1861, it annoyingly just says Suffolk. He died before 1871. Is there a place called Goring in Suffolk? Unfortunately I don't have anything else to go on, so I'm a bit stuck here, and any help would be appreciated.

I also have not been able to find him in the 1841 census, though by then he had already had one child in 1839, Edward, with a woman named Elizabeth Harden. Edward (Jr.) was born in Bethnal Green, London. Edward & Elizabeth did not get married until 1848. In 1841, Elizabeth Harden and her son Edward were living with her parents in Ripley, Surrey, but the father Edward Butcher was no where to be found.

Thanks,
Alexander

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Edward BUTCHER of Goring???, Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 June 09 05:10 BST (UK) »
Nearest I can find to Gorton/Goring is GROTON, Suffolk
Cant find him 1841 either ::)

Cheers,
Trish
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 10:13 BST (UK) »
Oh dear Alexander, Butcher eh, couldn't have been a less common ode Suffolk name  ::)

As this name is found all over Suffolk there is no chance of narrowing down to a particular area.

I live within the Groton (Grow-t'n) benefice and the name Butcher  is still common around these parts.

Another suggestion is Corton, near Lowestoft

Looking for places ending with ...ing hasn't yielded much, there do not seem to be many places with that ending.

Gedding ?
Cowlinge ? (pronounced, koo-linnje - formerly written as Cowling)

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 10:35 BST (UK) »
Well at least hes not an ag. lab. ;D
A Smith should be easier to find.

Edit; 1851 he is a warehouseman ???

Trish

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 13:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys...if anyone wants to look at the 1851 census (the only one where he gives his birthplace) it is HO107/1529/255/10. And it sure does look like Goring to me but I could be wrong. He did seem to get through the occupations a bit quickly. When his son Edward married in 1865 he was a "Merchant's clerk" but as Trish said, in 1851 he was a "warehousman" and in 1861 a "smith".

Alexander

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hello again, yes I did check him on the 1851 and yes the image shows Goring or possibly Go*ing, which I have tried saying in a Suffolk accent but still no clues as to what he meant  :-\

Still thinking about it

Pat ...
who should be catching up with SLHC work today!
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 July 09 19:53 BST (UK) »
Have been out and about in the county today to Snape, Thorpeness, Aldeburgh and home via Leiston, Saxmundham and Framlingham and all villages in between  ;D

The only Goring I can think of is Goring in Sussex.  It's a small place between Littlehampton and Worthing.  Perhaps it's the Suffolk bit that is incorrect and it should have been Sussex?

Will have another look at A.......y and check whether there are any Butcher families in that part of the world.

Pat ...
straws, clutching, at,  all come to mind  ::)
I have to find two more!

Offline Alexander.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 July 09 20:01 BST (UK) »
I did think that he might have meant Goring, Sussex, but the thing is that in the 1861 census he still gave his birthplace as Suffolk - and it's really frustrating that he didn't give any more detail.

Thanks for your help, Pat.

Alexander

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 July 09 04:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Alexander,

Does he have a Fathers name on Wedding Cert?

Trish