Author Topic: Roberts and Hughs Coalbrookdale  (Read 3951 times)

Offline wendyry

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Roberts and Hughs Coalbrookdale
« on: Sunday 28 June 09 04:02 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am looking for anyone else researching this family.

Richard ROBERTS was born 1833 in Birmingham, Warwickshire, the son of Thomas ROBERTS (1808) and Mary. He married Caroline HUGHES born 1835 in Coalbrookdale, daughter of Benjamin HUGHES and Anne FLETCHER. Richard ROBERTS
Census : 1841 in Age 9, Coalbrookdale, Shropshire
Census : 1851 in Age 19, Coalbrookdale, Shropshire, Wheelwright
Census : 1861 in Cartfeild Cottages, Coalbrookdale, Madeley, Shropshire, Timber Yard Foreman.
Census : 1871 in Severn Terrace, Madeley, Shropshire, Clerk
Census : 1881 in Wards Row, Madeley, Shropshire, Timber Merchant Foreman
Census : 1891 in 1 Wards Row, Madeley, Shropshire
Census : 1901 in Lincoln Hill, Madeley, Shropshire, Timber Merchant Manager
Caroline Hughes
Census : 1841 in 7 years, Coalbrookdale.
Census : 1851 in 16 years, Upper Forge, Coalbrookdale.
Census : 1861 in ?
Census : 1871 in 36 years, Severn Terrace, Ironbridge.
Census : 1881 in 46 years, Wards Row, Ironbridge.
Census : 1891 in 56 years, 1 Wards Row, Ironbridge.
Census : 1901 in 66 years, Lincoln Hill, Ironbridge.

Children of Richard ROBERTS and Caroline HUGHES:

Alice Emma ROBERTS was born November 15, 1854 in Coalbrookdale, and died June 20, 1931 in Wellington, New Zealand. She married Isaac RYALLS (born PINCHES) March 24, 1880 in Holy Trinity Church, Coalbrookdale.  He was born December 1855 in Coalbrookdale, Shropshire, England and died December 15, 1929 in Wellington, New Zealand.
Census : 1871 in 16 years, Severn Terrace, Coalbrookdale.
Census : 1881 in ? married
Census : 1891 in Middlesex, England
Census : 1901 in Surrey, Croydon, C.B., England
Burial : 1931 in Karori, Wellington

Mary A (Polly) ROBERTS was born 1857 in Coalbrookdale, Madeley, Shropshire, England.
I think Polly had a drapers shop?

Elizabeth H ROBERTS was born 1859 in Coalbrookdale, Madeley, Shropshire, England.

Anne C ROBERTS was born 1861 in Coalbrookdale, Madeley, Shropshire, England.

Thomas B (Tom) ROBERTS was born 1863 in Coalbrookdale. He married Eliza Emma After 1891. She was born 1862 in Coalbrookdale.
Census : 1871 in 8 years, scholar, Severn Terrace, Madeley, Shropshire
Census : 1881 in 18 years, Engine fitter, Wards Row, Ironbridge, Shropshire
Census : 1891 in Engine fitter, 1 Wards Row, Ironbridge, Shropshire
Census : 1901 in 38 years, Engine fitter, 130 Coalport Road. 

Walter ROBERTS was born 1866 in Coalbrookdale, Madeley, Shropshire, England. He married Mary J. .She was born 1860 in Bridgenorth, Shropshire, England .
Census : 1871 in 5 years, scholar, Severn Terrace, Ironbridge, Shropshire
Census : 1881 in 15 years, Pattern maker at Iron works, Wards Row, Ironbridge, Shropshire
Census : 1901 in 35 years, Pattern maker, Ironbridge.
I think Walter was a town councilor?

Frederic B (Fred) ROBERTS was born 1868 in Coalbrookdale, Madeley, Shropshire, England.

Kate E ROBERTS was born 1870 in Ironbridge, Shropshire..

William O ROBERTS was born 1874.

Margaret ROBERTS was born 1876 in Ironbridge, Shropshire..

Alice and Isaac were my great grandparents.

Cheers
Wendy
Dunedin
New Zealand

South (Hertfordshire)
Thorn (Essex)
Shanks/ Stewart (Angus)
Ryalls/Roberts (Shropshire)
Stark/Laing (Fife)

Offline bristolloggerheads

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Roberts and Hughs Coalbrookdale
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 June 09 11:42 BST (UK) »
Regarding the Hughes family:

There is also these three documents which all seem to refer the same parcel of land:

FILE - Lease - ref. 1987/35/4  - date: 27 April 1756
Contents
1. John Smitheman of Colebrooke Dale, Madeley, Esq.
2. Thomas Goldney of Bristol, merchant
Abraham Darby of Colebrooke Dale, ironmaster Richard Ford of the same, ironmaster, on behalf of themselves and partners in the Colebrooke Dale Works.
Whereas John Unett Smitheman, gent, and Catherine his wife (father and mother of John Smitheman, party) both deceased, jointly with John Giffard, Esq. and Rose his wife, by their lease of 7 January 1735/6 let to Richard Ford of Colebrooke Dale, gent., father of Richard Ford, party, deceased, and Abraham Darby, party, two iron furnaces called the Old Furnace and the New Furnace &c see 1987/35/2, to hold to them from Michaelmas 1738 for 21 years, which term will end on Michaelmas 1759.
Whereas Thomas Goldney, party, at the time of taking such lease and several other persons were partners and sharers in managing and carrying on the works, and since that time several other buildings have been erected on the premises and for the more advantage of raising water for working the works a fire engine has been erected on other lands belonging to the lessors that were not comprized in the above lease.
Whereas Thomas Goldney, Abraham Darby and Richard Ford, on behalf of themselves and partners, have applied to John Smitheman for a further term to be granted of his moiety of the premises above, beginning on the expiration of the above lease, to which John Smitheman has agreed. So John Smitheman leases to Thomas Goldney, Abraham Darby and Richard Ford all his undivided moiety of the premises, with the fire engine, furnaces, forges, dwelling houses, outhouses, buildings, barns, stables, orchards, gardens, dams. pools, stanks, weirs, water courses &c, being part of the Manor of Madeley.
Reservation of timber and game, except the draining of pool which it is agreed shall be kept full for the benefit of the furnaces,forges and other works; liberty for John Smitheman to go with horses and carriages at all times through Coalbrookdale.
To Thomas Goldney, Abraham Darby and Richard Ford as now held from the feast of St. Michael 1759 for 21 years. Rent: £200 p.a. beginning at Christmas 1759.
John Smitheman grants to 2. that they shall have full liberty to wharf, stack and land coals, iron and other goods or merchandises in which they are partners during the term on any place or part of the waste land, part of the Manor of Madeley joining to the River Severn, and lying between the smelthouse and the garden hedge belonging to Thomas Hughes a pipemaker, in Madeley Wood.
They covenant to pay to John Smitheman the remainder of the term granted in the recited lease the yearly rent of £50 above the rent paid for the ironworks.
Dorse: Memo that it is agreed by the parties within and declared that the majority of the partners in the Colebrook Dale Ironworks shall be and are impowered, and John Smitheman agrees to give liberty to any of their partners, to carry or waggon coals and other materials or goods upon the rails when laid wherein any of them shall be concerned and to land and wharf the same at the wharfage.
Signed by all the parties.
Witnesses: Willm Hallen. Hy Rainsford.
Memorandum that this document was produced 11 Sept. 1758 at the time of the examination of William Hallen and Henry Rainsford in the case in Chancery - John Giffard and wife, complainants, against Abraham Darby and others, defendants.
Witnesses: Henry Bowdler, J.J (or H.) White, Jno Oliver, Edwd Jeffreys.

March 1774
1. John Smitheman, Ann and Mary Giffard and Barbara Slaughter.
2. Abraham Darby.
2 iron furnaces called the Old and the New Furnaces at Coalbrookdale.
2 iron forges or smithies and part of the land where the furnaces stand.
The forges are called the Great Forge and the Plate Forge; and the Steel House (now used as a malthouse); building used as a fire engine built on part of the premises; and all railways, roads and warfages part of the Manor of Madeley between the Plating Forge and the smelthouse at R. Severn, and from the smelthouse by Severn side to a garden in Madeley Wood (John Hughes); land under the forges and malthouse.
For 42 years.
Rent: £400 p.a.

Feb 1794:
All lands, ways, waste, roads, railways and wharfages, part of the Manor of Madeley between the plating forge and the smelthouse at the R. Severn and from the smelthouse by Severnside down to a garden in Madeley Wood then late the property of - Hughes, widow,decd. Part of the waste ground several parts on which the forges and malthouse stood, with a new building, part used as a stable and other part as an office or store house at the upper end of Coalbrookdale, and a new engine pit, watercourse, brickyard and ground near the same (1½a); that part of the waste ground and bushes adjoining the said forges and then lately inclosed

If you can make the links there is a Hughes pipemaking dynasty going back many generations in Broseley.

Peter
Syner alias Taylor from Broseley and Benthall

Offline Mr Gwynne Chadwick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 June 09 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy,

who said;
 "He married Mary J. .She was born 1860 in Bridgenorth, Shropshire"

Two additional facts for you;

In the 12 April 1890 issue of the Bridgnorth Journal newspaper - Married in the Baptist Chapel, Bridgnorth. Walter Roberts, second son of Mr R Roberts of Ironbridge to Mary Jane Fowles, eldest dau of James Fowles of West Castle Street.

Bridgnorth Municipal Cemetery record;
Mary Jane ROBERTS, Wife of Walter, age 64 of Wharfage House Ironbridge. Buried 28 Feb 1923. Grave No.249B UnConsecrated.
I've checked today, there isn't a memorial.

Gwynne

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wendyry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 28 June 09 23:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter
Thanks for the info about the Hughes land. There seem to be quite a few HUGHES families in and around Coalbrookdale which means making connections between them is tricky. I will have a think on this one. Thanks again.
Wendy
South (Hertfordshire)
Thorn (Essex)
Shanks/ Stewart (Angus)
Stark/Laing (Fife)

Offline wendyry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 June 09 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Gwynne

I would have found the info about Mary J. in census data. I have a letter written to my grandfather in 1930 from his uncle Walter Wharfage House, Ironbridge, in which he states that he and his wife are in good health! Of course he may have remarried by 1930?

letter extract...
Glad to say that I am keeping fit & my wife. I have a very busy life both in business and in public work, having been an Alderman & Chairman of our Boro Council, & now have had 25 years as a J.P.

Our Co-op Society continues to grow we have a fairly modern Central and eight Branches, with Butchery business just added. We are just installing a Refrigeration Plant & have just built an up-to-date slaughterhouse. We have a large new Bakery & Confectionery Dept, with Café, with a total trade of about 50,000 pounds per annum, so you will guess I have plenty to occupy my time & energy, with about 40 Employee’s. I am enclosing a Photo on which I appear marked X this is of my committee taken on the occasion of the opening of Café & the resignation of Mr F. Johnson.

Th Shropshire burial index gives Walter's parents as being buried at Holy Trinity Coalbrookdale. Richard ROBERTS 1915 and Caroline ROBERTS nee HUGHES 1917.

Thanks for the information, every bit of the puzzle adds to the big picture!

Wendy
South (Hertfordshire)
Thorn (Essex)
Shanks/ Stewart (Angus)
Stark/Laing (Fife)