Author Topic: What I like about ancestry compared with 1911 site  (Read 5561 times)

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What I like about ancestry compared with 1911 site
« Reply #27 on: Monday 13 December 10 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Interesting thoughts from previous posters. It is clear that different posters have different expectations of transcriptions. I'm a FindMyPast subscriber though without 1911.

If FindMyPast alter transcriptions based on suggestions made by their subscribers, this is wrong and very un-professional.

I would agree, but I don't think that is what happens. My experience has been that alterations are made if the original transcription is clearly wrong or can be seen to be a mis-reading.

An example: I've recently been following a family where some of the children were born in Warrington (then Lancashire, now Cheshire). I found that on more than one census the image had "Warrington"(no county being written), but the transcription had "Warrington, Buckinghamshire". I submitted this as an error and they have now removed the county which matches the image. I assume this error had arisen from some automated software which matched Warrington with Buckinghamshire unless over-ridden - ie a transcriber error.

I only submit for alteration if the transcription does not match my reading of the image and have generally had these altered. I do not submit if the transcription matches the image but does not tally with my knowledge of either the people or place - I would not expect FindMyPast to alter in these circumstances. I can see the benefit of being able to add as additional information corrections for fact, but would not expect these to over-ride the actual transcription.