Author Topic: What I like about ancestry compared with 1911 site  (Read 5562 times)

Offline Anni B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: What I like about ancestry compared with 1911 site
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 01:27 BST (UK) »
Sorry, can't get the hang of inserting quotes....always gives me more than I want

As Nick29 said a few posts back, "Ancestry is very shortly going to bring in a new feature...."

Will this extend to alternative place names?  I know - it could all very messy, full of chinese whispers if that were to happen - but it really gets on my nerves when ancestors born in Berwick-upon-Tweed Northumberland England are indexed as born Berwickshire, Scotland when the census page itself clearly shows them born Berwick-upon-Tweed.

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 08:49 BST (UK) »
I hope it does include places, because this is one area that local knowledge is invaluable. Quite a few relatives are shown as being born in places that don't seem to exist. Family historians are likely to have some idea of where they were actually born - and we are also likely to have BMDs which will point to birthplace etc. And all this will help others if we can share what we know.

But again I'd want any corrections to be shown as alternatives rather than alter the originals.
Lesley

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 08:50 BST (UK) »
All I know comes from a post in the Census and Resource Discussion forum which gives the following link.........

http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2009/06/25/coming-soon-enhancements-to-the-ancestrycom-image-page/

If you enlarge the image on the page it more or less explains all the new features.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 08:51 BST (UK) »
Sorry, can't get the hang of inserting quotes....always gives me more than I want
Tweed.

PS to Tweed: Me too - I end up getting the entire message when I press 'insert quote', and then have to delete 99% of it!
Maybe someone can put us right!
Lesley

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 09:13 BST (UK) »
Surely the point of a transcript is that it should be exactly as the original, including original mistakes.

I submitted a correction to 1911, which was accepted because their transcript was clearly different from the scanned document, on close examination.

I have also submitted suggestions to Ancestry where the transcript may well have been accurate but I knew from other sources that the name had been entered incorrectly. In these cases the 'alternative name' note was more appropriate.

Maybe the ideal situation would be to combine both methods, using whichever is most appropriate for the particular case.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 11:35 BST (UK) »
But the advantage of being able to add Booth as an alternate name is that it will be able to be found by people looking for Booth.
The Both transcription will not

Bob
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I'll have to disagree too

Being a volunteer transcriber myself   , the rules are pretty clear : You are supposed to  transcribe exactly what is written on the original document.

If  on the census image the person's name  is "Green", the transcription should not say Greer, the transcription should be  Green, whether  you know she was Greer or not  .

Exact Transcription of  any document should be be   that . It  does not matter if you have the birth cert

If the original 1911 census return image   definitely says Green  - then Green should be transcribed whether it was her name, or the name she used or not - . This is why your 1911  correction was probably rejected.

]The names should only be altered  if it  has  been mistranscribed ,  ie if the transcription  of the document differs from the  actual  words/spelling on the orignal document.

Kind Regards:)

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Springbok

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 12:10 BST (UK) »
The only annoying thing on Ancestry is accepting corrections from people who don't leave their names (orange triangle) or at least being able to see their reasoning.

One case ( very clear and accurately transcribed)  a daughter , who married ,had a son ,was widowed and went back to live with family.
On the census she is on one page as daughter, widowed.(married name) next page her son is correctly down as grandson . Correction was for grandsons surname to mothers maiden name.

Now was the reasoning that the person who made the correction, perhaps knew that the adult George actually used his Mothers maiden name.?

I'd love to know

Apart from that , I like the system

Spring
Dorset: Ackerman,Bungey,Bunter Chant,Hyle
Islington:Bedford, Eaton,Wilkins
Beds,Fulham: Brazier
Shoreditch: Burton,Coverdale
Essex ,Clerkenwell:Craswell,Cresswell
St.Lukes Middx:Doughty, Dunkley
Andover/IOW/Fulham:Gasser
Fulham: Neal
Bucks:Putnam,Wingrove
Bullwell.Notts:Wilkinson
Clerkenwell/Islington:Wyllie
Herts/ Tottenham/Walthamstow:Young

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 12:14 BST (UK) »

Slightly off topic.  What you do is copy the part of the quote you want, then click on reply to open up the reply box.  Paste the quote, highlight it and then click on the BBC Tag 2nd from the end on the bottom line.  You can then just carry on with the rest of your message as usual.

Lizzie