Author Topic: QLD 1882 birth and 1883 death of Mary Eliza ADVICE PLEASE  (Read 1412 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
QLD 1882 birth and 1883 death of Mary Eliza ADVICE PLEASE
« on: Monday 29 June 09 03:00 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Many thanks to everyone at RChat for helping me with other threads.  This thread refers to the Queensland BDM index - 1882 birth and 1883 death.

From the online index for Qld bdm, I have noticed the birth and death of a girl. This little girl’s surname changes from NAPPER to SMITH, within twelve months, but I not yet found a marriage for her mum.  My questions on this thread are:

What does the “B” in both the registration references indicate?  - Perhaps indicating B as in Brisbane?
What was the Qld procedure in 1882/3 for changing the surname of a child? 

Any suggestions please for following up on this little girl and her parent/s - I am actually interested in information about her parents.  If I order a certificate from QLD - which one to choose and will it have specific information about where her parent/s were born ? (I have collection of NSW certificates showing birthplace as "England" etc - which when trying to find John or Mary Smith ......... really does not provide much help) 

QLD online index:
Birth
1882/B28946, Mary Eliza NAPPER, no father listed, mother listed as Mary Napper

Death
1883/B15507 Mary Eliza SMITH, no father listed, Mother listed as “Mary Ann Napper **now Smith** born Brisbane aged 12 mon

Many thanks in advance.

Just Moi
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: QLD 1882 birth and 1883 death of Mary Eliza ADVICE PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 June 09 03:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Hun

Not sure if this helps ? 

there is 2 children to Mary ann NAPPER -  a Robert b 1870 - died 1873 father Robert SMITH
and Mary Eliza  and as you say her death is under Smith - no father listed

BUT   there is a Robert Robertson SMITH marrying a Mary Ann NAPPAR   23 /05/1861   

Not sure if this is of any use

Daizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 June 09 03:41 BST (UK) »

OK  just a bit more,   Robert Robinson SMITH died in 1874  09/03/1874  son of George SMITH and Isabella Henderson,  so he obv wasnt the father of the 2nd child ........

Daizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 June 09 04:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Daizi,

Many thanks for those clues - umm, as usual more questions than answers, but that's what family history research is all about!  ;D   Umm, my Mrs Mary Ann Smith was born abt 1853 in Lancs so unlikely to be married in 1861, but stranger things have happened - not got any Robert Smiths on this tree !

Do you know what the "B" in the references indicates at all?  Or better still, do you know what the 1882/3 processes were to change the surname?

Ta for your help

Still searching

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 June 09 05:52 BST (UK) »
Yes B  denotes the Brisbane Area and C denotes  Country area outside of theBrisbane Area

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 June 09 06:02 BST (UK) »
Ta Jenn, re B and C - I thought I had read that B was indicating Brisbane.

Still trying to figure out the Qld process in 1882/1883 for changing surname of a child !  I presume the law would be based on UK law, but I am not sure.  And, umm, not even sure of the UK processes - presume Scottish law would be different from English law etc. 

Of course, I am keen to learn more about this 12 month old girl, born and died in Brisbane Qld.  Just not sure how to go about that! 

Still Searching,

JM 

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 June 09 06:19 BST (UK) »
Her birth is actually  registered under both  names, Smith and Napper
no  father shown in either registration.
Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 June 09 06:23 BST (UK) »
Bit More,

On an online search for cemeteries I have found the following gravesite information for Mary Eliza SMITH:

Toowong Cemetery
burial 20 March 1883
Portion 18,  Section 9,  Grave Number 25

Also listed for that grave from 1 August 1929, an 18 month old Joseph Dorrett.

I have no knowledge of the surname Dorrett, and feel that the internment of that 18 month old was most likely a re-use of a grave.

I am NSW based, and not sure if there is even a headstone at the Toowong Cemetery, or if the reference numbers found for that 20 March 1883 burial are sufficient to locate the exact grave.

Still searching.

Just noticed your posting re both birth registrations, Ta Jann

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 June 09 06:49 BST (UK) »
Bit More,

Re Joseph Dorrett, aged 18 months, buried in same gravesite as 12 month old Mary Eliza.

As it is possible that his parents may still be living, (his death was 1929) I am not listing them here, but on the Qld online index the name are displayed, and I confirm that the Dorrett family are not known to me.

Still searching,

JM