Author Topic: *** COMPLETED *** A Stonehaven burial - perhaps?  (Read 6277 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
*** COMPLETED *** A Stonehaven burial - perhaps?
« on: Monday 29 June 09 11:21 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping someone in sunny Stonehaven can help me :)

I have a relation Christina Wylie Rankin Armit, b. 29 May 1947 in Westray, Orkney; d. 24 Feb 1936, Queens Road, Stonehaven, Kincardineshire; m. Captain Archibald Robertson, 11 Jan 1875, 129 Kent Road, Glasgow; b. Abt. 1845; d. Bef 1936 but I haven't been able to confirm when :-\

The Captain commanded the 749 ton barque "Loch Fleet" from 13 March 1875 until 21 July 1880, the 1528 ton ship "Thomas Stephens" of Liverpool from 1 December 1880 until 26 Feb 1884 and then the 1214 ton barque "Colwyn" of London - all of them under sail :o

I know, from the Miramar Ship Index, that the "Colwyn" went 'missing' on a voyage from Newcastle, New South Wales to Valparaiso in Chile on 5 December 1892 :(

My query:
WAS ARCHIBALD IN COMMAND WHEN SHE FOUNDERED?
He would only have been aged 47 and so it's quite possible. The last known fact I have was him arriving in Singapore with the "Colwyn" on 11 Sep 1887 having taken 100 days to reach there from Cardiff!

Assuming Christina was buried in Stonehaven, could anyone maybe check out the cemetery and see if there is any mention of Archibald on the headstone that will give me an indication of when he died. Christina was shown as 'Widow of ...' in the Register of Deaths.

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: A Stonehaven burial - perhaps?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 June 09 15:26 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I see on another site you have?

"Problem solved ... I've now got the evidence I needed that Captain Archie Robertson died at home in Stonehaven on 4 June 1916."

Regards,   Steve  :)

I take it this is your man?

1916 ROBERTSON ARCHIBALD     M 71 FETTERESSO /KINCARDINE 258/01 0043

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: *** COMPLETED *** A Stonehaven burial - perhaps?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 29 June 09 15:57 BST (UK) »
You beat me to it Steve

I hadn't got round to cancelling it out.  That's the man!

I'm now wondering who was in command of the vessel when she foundered!

Cheers

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline dark raven

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 August 10 22:57 BST (UK) »
It was my great grandfather's uncle Thomas Laugharne of Dinas Cross in Pembrokeshire, one of five brothers who all died at sea. He took over command of the Colwyn a few months before she went missing on a voyage between Newcastle in Australia and Valpariso carrying a cargo of coal.

Your ancestor Captain Archie Robertson seems to have carried out many similar voyages in the Colwyn and was fortunate to die in his bed. Coal was a notoriously difficult cargo, prone to spontaneously ignite or shift dangerously in rough seas. For more details of the Colwyn's voyages check out http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/home. Put barque Colwyn in the search box.

I was wondering who the lucky Captain Robertson was who gave up command of the Colwyn just before she went missing. Strange what you find out when you Google a ship's name :)

Regards Vivien

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 August 10 09:02 BST (UK) »
Awesome Vivien  :)

I'd thought that I'd got to the end of that search but, as you say, it's
"Strange what you find out when you Google a ship's name".

I'm away from home at the moment but will enter the information against Charles's entry on the tree when I return.

Regards

Chiad Fhear