Author Topic: Looking for a sheep thief LOL  (Read 1493 times)

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Looking for a sheep thief LOL
« on: Monday 29 June 09 20:31 BST (UK) »
Looking for ANY information on a Thomas Rae who was convicted of stealing sheep in Jedburgh c1818.

My mother can remember as a child hearing a conversation between her grandmother and a friend where Grandmother stated "oh no! we don't have anything to do with "that" side of the family ....... someone on "that" side was hanged for sheep stealing"

I'm hoping I've found the man she was talking about but I can't seem to find out anything else about him to tie him in with my lot.

Any ideas?

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a sheep thief LOL
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 01:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

You might have found these already?

http://www.dcnyhistory.org/lettersthomaselliot.html
Thomas Rae was taken about last Martinmas and lodged in Jedburgh jail for stealing sheep of (Faup?). It is not known yet what his fate will be till the judges come round. It is thought by some that it will be death which must be a great grief to all his connections. The way that he was found out was by selling skins a Hawick.

http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue/
Crown Office precognitions, 1819
Thomas Rae, alias Rea, m.s. Thomas, cottar and labourer, Address: Fellchurch, Cavers, Roxburghshire

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Thisty

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a sheep thief LOL
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 June 09 07:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Ambly,

Many thanks :D, I had found the letters but as fascinating as they are to read they don't give any clues as to who his family were.

However I had never seen the second link so BIG thankyou for that one :)  It didn't even occur to me that the National Archives would have court records so I'll definately be hunting those out next time I visit

:D