Author Topic: Workhouse Immigrants  (Read 6193 times)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Workhouse Immigrants
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 July 10 10:54 BST (UK) »
Ellin,
       Welcome to Rootschat (if it's OK for me to welcome an Australian to the Australian site!!). Having found the original documents in the old workhouse loft I have done some research in the Public Records Office in Belfast and various documents there do have slightly different spellings for some of the names. These documents were the Masters Log (the workhouse manager) and the Guardians Log (the management board). I will go through my records and see if I have recorded the different spellings.
      Eliza came from a district called MYROE which is on the west bank of the River Roe just north of the town of Linavady in Co.Londonderry. I have also written a short article on workhouse conditions in the 1840s and when you have done a couple more postings (one of the site requirements) I will contact you by Personnal Message on this site and pass the article to you.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Ellin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 12 July 10 14:10 BST (UK) »
Dear kingskerswell.
Thanks for the welcome and for the prompt reply. Any information you are able to provide about Eliza and her background, family circumstances etc. would be very helpful.  It would be particularly interesting to know if she entered the workhouse with other family members or was, indeed, an orphan.  Her family name is also given as McNicholson on some documents but Derryy is always given as her birthplace. Her father's name was John.
Your article sounds fascinating and I would be very interested to read it.
Regards and thanks.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 12 July 10 14:31 BST (UK) »
Ellin,
      Have checked my notes and found that the name Nickle was always used but the first name varied:
Guardians Minutes 1 May 1848 Eliza Jane Nickle
Letter from Mr. Senior, Poor Law Commissioner in charge of orphan scheme, 26 Jun 1848 Ellen Nickle
Letter from Dublin Commissioners with final list of 9 girls 3 Jul 1848 Eliza Nickle.

I also note that Eliza got into trouble while in the workhouse. Extract from Master's Journal            27 Sep 1847 in which he reported to the Guardians:-
"The Master begs leave to state that yesterday the 26th Mary Ann Smith, Biddy Margy, ELIZA NICKLE ans Eliza Doherty went on the scaffolding which Mr Boyd has erected in the female yard and through (sic) it down breaking one of the railsof the drying posts."
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Dpf

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 19 June 17 09:03 BST (UK) »
This is my first time on the site as just starting my family history journey. I am also interested in Eliza Nickle. ? Could she be Eliza McNicol. She married in Adelaide in 1850 to Patrick Troy. They are my Great Grandparents. Would love to chat with anyone interested.     

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 19 June 17 09:48 BST (UK) »
Not sure?
Northern Star 4Nov1899 http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/71754122
At Beechworth an old woman, named Elizabeth Nickle, was found dead in her house. The body of her daughter, aged 48 years, was also found dead in another building. Both had been dead eight or ten days. They both belonged to the unfortunate class. There were no marks of violence or anything to lead to suspicion of foul play.