Author Topic: Isaac Burman of Mavis Enderby  (Read 2412 times)

Offline ivanidea

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Isaac Burman of Mavis Enderby
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 18:33 BST (UK) »
I don't know if you have Olive's birth record but this is a possiblity:

Births Sep 1867   
Spilsby  7a 508
Cummins,  Olive   

Ivan 

Offline hybridjeff

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 19:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that tree reference Ivan. The Resource File that I originally looked made me think that the LDS, not content with baptising ones that have been dead foe many years, were resorting to marrying ones off years before their birth. That tree corrects my inaccurate viewpoint.

It does amaze me that many of the submitted details on that site contain glaring errors which then appear in other trees. I thought the whole point of tracing one's ancestors was to be as accurate as possible, checking and double checking the information, citing its source, and recording the correct details for posterity. Instead we find many details that recall to mind the classic Morecombe & Wise sketch with Andre Previn "I am playing the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order!"

The birth reference for Olive is correct. Although the family signed their name as Comins in the early 1700s, when the family spread from Thorpe to Hundleby, Horsington and Lincoln, many surnames ended up as Cummins. The children of the same family at Horsington had their surname recorded as Commins, Commings, Cummins and Cummings.

Offline Emms1999

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 17 January 23 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I have a George Burman from Lincolnshire in my family, We may be connected. 
Emma