Author Topic: Help with date of birth  (Read 2303 times)

Offline sandy

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Help with date of birth
« on: Wednesday 01 July 09 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
Hope someone can help. I have a death certificate for a chap who died on the eleventh of March 1954 and they say on the certificate his age was 66 years. Could anyone work out for me which year and which quarters he  could have been born as I am not very good at working it out, I wouldn't ask but his name is Smith and he has no middle name so I need to narrow it down as much as I can, otherwise it could be costly on birth certificates. Thank you
Sandy

Offline patrish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Winter Wonderland
    • View Profile
Re: Help with date of birth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 22:48 BST (UK) »
If his age is correct on the death certificate the birth year would be 1888.

Why dont you post his name and we can have a look, do you know where he might have been  born, or any other details .i.e his parents names or his occupation. ???
this information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   London Hall, Thurston Stanley, Phillips, Ayrton, White, Morrish, Smith.    West Ham/Barking Saint,Briggs,   Essex  Barker,   Hampshire  Kill, Kent Spong,   U.S.A Earp, Scotland/Cumbria Templeton, Devon Morrish, Chudley

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 July 09 22:54 BST (UK) »
If his age at death is accurate - and there is no guarantee that it is - then he was born after 11 March 1887 but before 11 March 1888.

His birth could have been registered in any quarter of 1887 or first or second quarter of 1888.  Parents were allowed 42 days to record a birth.  The first quarter of 1887 is the least likely but not impossible.  His birthday could have been in the latter part of March.  Sadly that's a lot of Smiths.

Can you eliminate any by tracking him through the census?  Presumably you have his father's name from a marriage certificate.  That can always be used as a reference check, as can his mother's name if you know it.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sandy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 July 09 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thank you for your replies, his first name was George and his fathers name was george and thats about all I have to go on. He Died in London but I want to know where he was born and thats what I'm finding difficult, he could have been born anywhere in the country and there are too many George Smiths born around that time to narrow it down.If anyone can come up with any ideas as to how I can find out I would be grateful.
Thanks again
Sandy

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 July 09 13:31 BST (UK) »
Do you then have his marriage certificate?
That'll give an occupation at (date) and a father's occupation and witness names, and an age given by the groom..

Pj
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline sandy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 02 July 09 20:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
George Smith was on his death certificate -(formerly a trolley bus driver in London) he gave his age on his marriage certificate in August 1930 as 41 years and his father's name George who was what looked like a Butler Domestic.  He lived in Edmonton London. Does any of that help in finding his birth?
thanks again
Sandy

Offline maidmarion

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 02 July 09 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandy,
More info the better when searching for people with common names, I should know with my Jones' :o

Jobs will hopefully assist people to seach for George in the census. :)

maidmarion

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 02 July 09 20:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

Obviously looking for a George Smith in the censuses is obviously a bit of a needle-in-a-haystack job, but for starters here is a George Smith of the right sort of age to be your George's father, and who's in the right line of work in 1901:

1901 census: RG13/105/40/7

10 Henrietta St, Marylebone

[In the large household of Chas Douglas Ferguson-Phillips, M.D., LLD, FRS (Edin.)]:

George SMITH Servt Widower 45 Under Butler London Islington

Anna :)
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline maidmarion

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 02 July 09 20:51 BST (UK) »
George Smith 36yrs mar footsman b.Islington is still at 10 Henrietta St, Marylebone in 1891.

maidmarion