Author Topic: "Noble" help needed from noble rootschatters!  (Read 9734 times)

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
"Noble" help needed from noble rootschatters!
« on: Saturday 26 February 05 10:54 GMT (UK) »
This is a brickwall I`ve been hammering at for many years now.

Where is the NOBLE family in 1841 and 1851?

In 1834 they are in Cardiff :

James Noble ,gentleman ,
Ann(e) , his wife ,born circa 1805.Thea marry in Llywel in 1825.Her father is David Walter Powell , her uncle is Walter Powell (he dies in 1824) ,attorney in the township of Brecon and owner of the Clydach ironworks.
William George Noble ,son,born 1831 Cardiff
Margaret Anne Noble , daughter , born 1833 Cardiff.

James Noble dies before 1850.
The family is NOT in Glamorgan in 1841/51 but William is there from 1861 Census onwards.His sister marries in London in 1850.

Has anyone got census transcripts of any part of Wales where they could check the name Noble? There couldn`t be a lot of them in Wales at that time,I would have though.
Powell is a nightmare surname and I haven`t been down that path although perhaps David Walter is a little more uncommon than David William!

It`s only 4 generations back but I am so stuck.How many years will I have to wait before someone like Ancestry has all the early censii online and I can find them through cross referencing?

PLease ,please, and pretty please ,check any transcripts you have for these names.
They must turn up somewhere.

Thanks ,

from a distressed,

cockney rebel

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
Re: "Noble" help needed from noble rootschatters!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 March 05 09:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cockney Rebel,

have you tried the trades / historical directories? With there being an owner of the iron works and an attorney in there, I would think there is bound to be a mention of them there.

It is linked elsewhere, but here it is anyway if you've not already tried it:

www.historicaldirectories.org

It takes a while to load, but it is worth it.

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 March 05 10:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi
when I put the name Noble in to search Wales  on the BVRI it only came up with this spelling  KNABLES and there was only one family

Ann Knables chris 4/5/1769 at Hammer Flint Wales
father John Knables
mother Ann Knables
audrey

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 March 05 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your answers.
Knables for Noble is a new one on me , but it`s certainly a variant worth bearing in mind.

As for you,D ap D , after I tried your link yesterday ,Thursday just disappeared!I did indeed find some references which look quite exciting,... I`m still following through... and as the site provides London directories as well, I found even more relevant stuff!

You`re right , the site is a little slow, but I find trying to search directories and similar at Ancestry much worse.
Thanks for your help.

rebel

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 March 05 10:31 GMT (UK) »
I have just had a look through both my 1851 and 1861 Montgomeryshire CD's and there are no NOBLE listed on either.

Jan :)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 March 05 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi. Do you have Walter Powell's will?

Will of Walter Powell, Attorney at Law of Brecon , Breconshire 15 December 1824 PROB 11/1693
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/familyhistory/

And Pigot's 1830 directory has a James Noble listed under Cardiff,Llandaff and Neighbourhoods as "corn and provisions factors, Noble James & Co, Wharf
Same company is under Timber merchants too, same address
And Millers.

Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 March 05 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Wow!
Things are moving!

Yes , I do have the will , which not only gave me a lot of info on the Powell side , but also told me how many different people you can leave one silver teaspoon to.
James Noble marries into the family in 1825,so he`s not mentioned.

That`s the first mention I can find of him.
His marriage licence says he is a gentleman ,of full age and upwards , and that`s it.
He is " deceased "( but still with a profession of gentleman!!) on his daughter`s marriage certificate ( London 1850).

The last mention of him on the ISYS library site is 1835.
He`s missing too from directories from the 1850s.

If I could find his widow and son in 1841/1851 (Ann born c 1805 and William George (1831) I could at least perhaps narrow down WHERE he might have died and thus find a reference for a death certificate ( I gave up guessing after4 wrong tries..it`s just too expensive).

Crossing off Montgomery is a big help , the list gets shorter ,thankyou.

The search continues...

Rebel

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 March 05 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Just had another thought - have you tried the NBI? Glamorgan has the best coverage in Wales, with a thin coverage in Brecon and Radnor. That might also give you a couple more places either to discount or reconsider.

I'm sure someone will do a look up if you ask nicely. (Sorry I can't, as the counties I'm interested in still aren't covered - so I didn't buy the CD).

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline cockney rebel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 March 05 13:28 GMT (UK) »
I`ve got an older edition of the NBI , he`s not on that..

Do you know , I have NEVER found anyone I`ve been chasing on the NBI.
I`ve often wondered ,late at night,if all those names have come out of `phone books and the dates are just the last digits of the telephone number next to them.

Still , I bought my copy second hand for a fiver,so I`m not really complaining...it`s just despair!

Rebel