Author Topic: Horton by Blyth - vanished village?  (Read 18385 times)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
Re: Horton by Blyth - vanished village?
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 09 February 10 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Wikinson for the link to more maps. Sorry for late reply- been away - twice!

Gen in NBL

UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE

Offline peteloud

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New Delaval
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 19:15 BST (UK) »
Ahh! those last few messages brought back a lot of memories of the 1950s.  Sadly I live like a recluse in Milton Keynes and never have the chance to meet and talk to people from those 'old' days.

Wilkinson doesn't metion that his family had an indoor toilet & bath and his father had a car.  I think it was the only car down Delaval Gardens. Another neighbour across the back lane in Delaval Gardens had a car for a while, although I can't remember seeing it out of the garage.

We had an ootside netty doon the yard.  My dad had a bicycle. I remember that for a while he cycled over to Bedlington to work at a diesel power station. He later worked at Bates then at the power station.

I remember how the miners received free coal which was dropped in the back lane, and how a couple of bob, or a part load of coal, could be earned by shoveling the coal into the coal shed through the little square hatch onto the back lane.

Wilkinson refers to a website of mine, I suggest that you check out,
Blyth, http://www.peterloud.co.uk/photos/Northumberland/Blyth/Blyth_1.html
School photos. http://www.peterloud.co.uk/photos/Northumberland/School_Photos/School_Photos.html

It is facinating to be reminded of life in those days.

Offline Wilkinson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 20:54 BST (UK) »
Yes Peter we did EVENTUALLY have an indoor toilet and bath but only after many years  using the "outside netty doon the yard" when I was a tot. My Dad built an extension onto the main living room out into the back yard for this and eventually his small garage when he eventually bought a second hand Ford Popular.
My Grandad wouldn't let my Dad go down the pit when he left school so he worked on the Co-op milk carts. Then  he was  called up to serve in the Army and after training and serving for two years in Ireland he landed in Normandy just a day or two after D Day and fought with his Regiment through France, Belgium, The Ardennes, Germany etc. to Hamburg - another two years or so. After the War he went back to the Co-op but decided to take on a Co-op Insurance round. He cycled for several years collecting insurance from Blyth, Cowpen, Seaton Delaval, New Hartley, the Sluice, Cramlington. etc. Eventually he saved enough money to build the toilet and bathroom and buy a small car. I remember him digging out the extension foundations and labouring for the brickie. The car came later when I was a teenager and I learnt to drive in it. If you look on page 35 of "Blyth Memories" Part 3 Jim Harland did a piece on my Dad entitled "Milkman, Mayor and War Hero". I'm very proud of him.

Offline peteloud

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 21:04 BST (UK) »
An excellent reply.

Although I knew your family better than most, because I was a few years younger than you I never realised the hardships you had gone though. I never knew that your father had been a milkman in his earlier days.  It makes his achievements more admirable.

What a wealth of unspoken local history there is.  I suppose similar things could be said about many people who died un recorded.

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 28 September 17 16:29 BST (UK) »
The miners - free coal - no way, it was concessionary coal, i.e. at a reduced price, i.e. staff discount or whatever.