Author Topic: IMMIGRATION- JOHN SHAW  (Read 3051 times)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: IMMIGRATION- JOHN SHAW
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 09 July 09 00:07 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to a previous thread by shaw.shoo regarding John Shaw:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,390977.msg2620632.html#msg2620632

Shaw.shoo, can you provide some facts regarding your John Shaw as most of the information posted seems to be supposition. Are you descended from one of his children with Jane (by the way, the marriage registration says Jane, not Ann as you have in your second post in this thread)?

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline shaw.shoo

• RootsChat Member
  • at it since 1977, what a difference internet makes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 09 July 09 00:49 BST (UK) »
jacquie
re: the 1871 census...i did not read the reel myself...it was done by a volunteer on one of these sites. it even could have been rootschat..can't remember.

Offline shaw.shoo

• RootsChat Member
  • at it since 1977, what a difference internet makes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 09 July 09 01:31 BST (UK) »
jacquie,
the mixup with Ann and Jane is that John Shaw's wife is actually Ann Jane. sorry not to have mentioned that previously.

yes, i am a descendant of Ann Jane and John Shaw. one of their daughters Lavina Susanna was my gr grandmother.

things we know:
1. found archival info where by he owned property jan 13 1872 in Hagerman. copies of records comig to me soon.

2. he was initiated into the Orange Lodge of McKellar Jul 12 1873.

he lived in McKellar June 1882 as his name is mentioned in the book of the Loyal Orange Lodge, age given as 55..here again another age descrepancy and that john shaw was supposed to paint the hall.

3. he married Ann Jane Calvert Oct 11 1873. document said he was a widower.   
    family story says he left wife and kids in England with intent to bring them out.

4. they lived mostly in Parry Sound Ont area...there are land record info we have with lot# and concession.

5. he died in Parry sound Nov 22,1898 age stated as 74 (b.1824).
    recently found that although his death record says he was born in Devonshire...a Dunchurch gal connected to family too) said that most people just knew that John was FROM Devonshire...so he may not necessarily been born there. hence the birthplace on his death record.

6. his father's name was Thomas per marriage certificate

7. he was a painter, stated on marriage certificate

8. we have 1881 and 1891 census with him and family - Hagarman, Parry Sound ON
    did you want names of kids?  the family flitted from Hagerman, to Ahmic Harbour and Croft
     per birthdates of children.

i was trying to find John by looking in Britain but that proved impossible....i had posted to Britain forum under Devonshire....was advised to get more info in Canada first.

SO.....when i found the 1871 census with john shaw, the first thing that struck me was that he was a painter-which matched, the age-was pretty close to 1824 (and we all know how many of these dates on censuses vary from the truth) and of course that he was English.

while searching around on line i found on toronto emigrant office assisted immigration database
a john shaw applying for assisted fare at Toronto to King.  the date of application was Jan 3, 1870.
it showed he was English. Sailed on ship Nestorian from Liverpool and landed at Portland. his destination was Weston.  he travelled alone.

the destination of Weston intrigued me because it is just north of the location were he supposedly is found on 1871 census. weston is where Ann Jane Calvert was born along with all her siblings.
it just sounded so good.

so help me out ladies... am i going nuts or not? does this sound like it could be the same man.

i was advised to view the reel containing this assisted fare info to see if additional info could be found. which i plan to see if i can get thru inter library loan which will probably take weeks to get to me if at all.

this is the reason i began looking for Nestorian ships sailing and landing in Portland 1870 ish.