Author Topic: Rev. Henry Hatton - Overchurch 1648  (Read 2496 times)

Offline skill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rev. Henry Hatton - Overchurch 1648
« on: Sunday 05 July 09 11:14 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out more about the early life of Rev. Henry Hatton (b1615, dc1669), son of Christopher Hatton, gent. of Sulby Abbey, Northants., and later Prebendary of Clone, Diocese of Ferns and Leighlin in 1662 (Wexford, Ireland). He was awarded his BA in 1637/8 and his MA in 1641 from St. John's College, Cambridge, where he was admitted as a foundress fellow in 1643 at the express request of Charles I, partly on account of his relations to Sir Christopher Hatton, 1st Baron Hatton of Kirby (I am not sure exactly how they are related yet - any suggestions welcome).

According to Venn (a source quoted by St. John's librarian), he signed the Attestation of the Cheshire Presbyterian Ministers as Minister of Overchurch in Cheshire in 1648. He was subsequently listed in the Parliamentary Survey of 1650 as vicar of Hucknall, Notts.

Does anyone know whether any parish or other relevant records for Overchurch survive from this period ? I am particularly interested to find out who Rev. Henry's first wife was, where and when they married and whether they had any children.

Many thanks

skill
Rowsom, Larkin in Wexford
Killin in Westmeath
McCann in Tipperary
Barry, Grady in Cork

Offline fishweb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Rev. Henry Hatton - Overchurch 1648
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 July 09 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Skill,
I do not know if you have tried these sites to find any reference books for what  you are looking for .
Googlebooks where when searching on Rev Henry Hatton many references came up for him. One of which he is mentioned in this book Nonconformity in the County Palatine of Cheshire .
I found the book to browse on this site,
http://www.archive.org/details/historicalsketch00urwi
You could also try searching for other books mentioned on google books on this site ,  that may also have been digitized for browsing.
Also some hits come up for records on Overchurch records on the Access to Archives site.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/results.aspx?tab=2&Page=1&ContainAllWords=overchurch&Repository=Cheshire+and+Chester+Archives+and+Local+Studies+Service

Good luck

Cathy
cheshire capper houghton malia/melia fitzgerald higgins emson groves nickson
staffordshire burns goddard lindop davenport
wiltshire dowling chandler tuff
devon cox vinnecombe-butler pearce
cornwall bersey

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline skill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 July 09 16:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Cathy.

I had not found the reference to HH in the book about Non-Conformism before. I still need to find out who HH's siblings, first wife and children were (other than Thomas - see the entry for him in Sir Bernard Burke's "A genealogical and heraldic dictionary of the landed gentry of Great Britain", 1862, page 667).

Kind regards

skill

P.S. I am still puzzled as to why Burke thinks that HH was a cousin of Lord Chancellor Sir Christopher Hatton KG, who was born 1540, whereas HH was born 1615 ?
Killin in Westmeath
McCann in Tipperary
Barry, Grady in Cork

Offline Certacito

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 July 09 21:00 BST (UK) »
Going back that far the church will probably be on the site of what is now the M53 approach road at Moreton.  I understand there are some old grave stones still in the little bit of wood that is there?

St Mary's in Upton village (Wirral) became the new church when that one was demolished, fell down or whatever happened to it.

I suppose you could always write to them and see if they can tell you anything.

It is in Ford road/Church road. Upton. Wirral. CH49.
Moreton. McKeown.

Offline skill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 July 09 12:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Certacito. This is a good idea.

skill
Killin in Westmeath
McCann in Tipperary
Barry, Grady in Cork

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 July 09 18:47 BST (UK) »
there is a Henrie Hatton babtised on March 4th at St John The Babtist church in Chester in 1593....on CPRDb.....not THAT far from Overchurch....and the right age to be his father.....there are 290 babtisms for Hatton on CPRDb...might be worth having a look,you might find a connection to a couple....good luck...allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline skill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 08:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Garstonite. Henry Hatton's father was Christopher Hatton of Sulby Abbey, Welham, Northants., where Henry was born and raised as a child, although he was later sent to school in Leicestershire.

What is CPRDb ?

Thanks

skill
Killin in Westmeath
McCann in Tipperary
Barry, Grady in Cork