Author Topic: Amelia Palmer (again)  (Read 4662 times)

Offline tsumi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Amelia Palmer (again)
« on: Sunday 05 July 09 15:06 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I wonder could someone with a bit of spare time do a look up for me .
Amelia Palmer was born 1882, Caernafon, Wales, and family story,s say she went to Canada, and I did have a look up for her in Saginaw,Michigan,taking data from immigration,but a later marriage record on the C L Saints record pilot scheme showed it was the wrong Amelia,my Amelia,s father was named James.
Now thanks to some new data on Ancestry there is a record of what (fingers crossed) looks like the correct one.
Amelia Palmer ,born 1882 ,Wales,occupation Domestic,docked October 1906 on board S S Cassandra,destination Woodstock,I cannot make out if it is Vermont ,or somewhere else.
Would SKP have a look on the 1910 census for me always assuming she didn,t marry in the meantime .
Many thanks for your time reading this,Tsumi
Beatham , in Cumberland /Westmorland,
Palmer, in Devon/Caernarvon,
Sillery , Worldwide,
Fearance ,and variants ,Caernarvon,Liverpool.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Amelia Palmer (again)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 July 09 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Tsumi,
It looks like it could be Woodstock, Ont.  Do not see her on the American 1910 census yet. You've had a look on the 1911 Canadian census for her?
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/index.jsp
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline tsumi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 July 09 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,
Many thanks for your time and reply .
I am afraid it is yes ,to looking on the Canadian census for her ,that is why I have switched to the US.
I must suppose now that she got married before 1910, and hope I get lucky somewhere along the way and find her marriage.
Once again many thanks ,
Tsumi
Sillery , Worldwide,

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 July 09 18:58 BST (UK) »
I do not see anyone in 1910 or 1920 in America with the following:
Amelia (no surname), born in Wales, 1882 (+/- 2 years), immigrating after 1900.

If she did settle in America, of course there could be an error on the census.  (Incorrect birth year or place, etc.)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 July 09 19:05 BST (UK) »
I don't have access to Canadian A.....y, but I thought I would try the same search to see if there were any results: Amelia, born Wales, c1882 (+/- 2 years) and there weren't any results on the 1911 Canadian census.  :-\

Could she have used a nickname or returned to Wales?
There were two Amelia Palmer's and one Amelia H Palmer, born c1882, returning to the UK.  I do not have further information.

Offline tsumi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 July 09 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

On the 1901 British census ,she is down as Milly Palmer ,but I gather that was the name her employer used for her,when she was, a live in Domestic servant,in Liverpool,Lancashire.
On the 1891 census in Liverpool,with her family she is named Amelia.
She was my grandmothers sister and the only one I cannot trace.

I am so grateful to you for looking up the census for me if only for elimination purposes.

Best of luck with your own research Tsumi
Sillery , Worldwide,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 July 09 19:27 BST (UK) »
Any idea of the names of Amelia's parents? Found one possibilty with parents James William & Annie.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 July 09 19:31 BST (UK) »
Did not see anything for Milly/Millie, although I didn't search as thoroughly as I did for Amelia.

Hopefully, aghadowey might have found something.

Offline tsumi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 July 09 20:37 BST (UK) »
Both of Amelia,s parents died before 1901,her father was James William Holland Palmer,born 1841 ,Plymouth,Devon and mother,Hannah,born 1847,Caernarvon,Wales.
Their deaths became the reason for the family splitting up,particularly the younger children,but all stayed in Liverpool, except Amelia.
Cheers Tsumi
Sillery , Worldwide,