Author Topic: 1911 census - puzzled  (Read 1418 times)

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 census - puzzled
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 July 09 13:58 BST (UK) »
Did wonder if any of the 4 who died could have been twins of surviving ones.
Or maybe born after the youngest - aged 5 in 1911.

There were at least 3 more after 1911 - which included my grandfather Leonard.
Jones, Davies, Evans, Williams, Daniel, Thomas - Glamorgan
Keen, Goodwin, Pyatt, Leese, Bailey, Loffill, Stubley, Brassington, Blurton,  - Staffs

Offline DudleyWinchurch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 July 09 14:14 BST (UK) »
Oh, I seem to have been looking at totally the wrong end of the country.

One way to go about it would be to get the cert for the earliest one you can be sure of and check the address (might need to go for a more unusual name there).

If the address is the same throughout then this will be the key to positive identification.  If some have a different registration district and the home address nd registration districts didn't change, it may indicate some sort of hospital birth for those cases (maybe if the possibility of twins had been identified in advance).  Twins should have a time of birth on the cert. so if you already have one then you may be able to discount those. 

Then you would need to list those already identified, with dates of most likely registration and then identify the gaps.

It would be horribly expensive to do this through the GRO checking system but if you find someone helpful at the local register office they may be prepared to check addresses on several options for you.
McDonough, Oliver, McLoughlin, O'Brien, Cuthbert, Keegan, Quirk(e), O'Malley, McGuirk (Ireland)
Dudley, Winchurch, Wolverson, Brookes (Black Country)
Concannon, Moore, Markowski (Markesky), Mottram, Lawton (Black Country)

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
  • White and Buckley family
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 July 09 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there Jo, is it Llangynwyd Church (St Cynwyds) where the burials were? If so, give the church a ring and they should put you onto an elderly gentleman who has transcribed ALL the records up to quite recently.

If this is the case, he will print you off (what I suspect will be a large list) all the Jones' buried in Llan. Up to you to weed through them.

if I recall from previous conversations, you're not in the Maesteg area - if it is llan, and you do get a list printed off, let me know and I'll pick it up for you (he lives near my parents). I can either scan it (although they are poor dot matrix printed copies), or trawl the list for your names. Luckily, the plot numbers on his lists are simple to use and then find!

census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Buckley - Maesteg, Tipperary
Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
Whitty - Wexford, South Wales
Connell - Ireland, and possibly Liverpool
White - Kinsale, Cork
Ahearn(?) - Glanmire, Cork
Millward - Merthyr, Maesteg

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 July 09 15:04 BST (UK) »
Yes, it is Llan.

I know some of the brothers are there as I have found their graves.
The parents are there also, with some of their sons.
No mention of any infants though.

The missing brother David John is also in a nearby grave with his uncle.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give the church a call.

We're in Maesteg area fairly regularly as we still have family living in Cwmfelin.
Keen, Goodwin, Pyatt, Leese, Bailey, Loffill, Stubley, Brassington, Blurton,  - Staffs

Offline halfasheep

• RootsChat Veteran
  • White and Buckley family
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 July 09 15:09 BST (UK) »
I forget the bloke's name, but our four graves up there are unmarked - my grandfather told me there were three or four people per grave - not so.

This guy got me the list of the Buckley's buried there, and once he had the plot numbers, he found everyone buried in our plots.

Had about 22 people out of the four graves, including an elderly woman who died in the workhouse. no idea who she was until my great auntie told me she was an ex-neighbour of the family and she remembered her grandfather (my gt gt grandfather) telling her that they arranged her funeral as she didn't have any other family.

Managed to get a few infant deaths too - including a brother of my grandfather's that he didn't know about!
census info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Buckley - Maesteg, Tipperary
Lane - Waterford
Hughes - Hay/Hereford
Hobby - Byford
Evans - Neath/Cadoxton
Whitty - Wexford, South Wales
Connell - Ireland, and possibly Liverpool
White - Kinsale, Cork
Ahearn(?) - Glanmire, Cork
Millward - Merthyr, Maesteg

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 08:48 BST (UK) »
I've had some success!

I've found David John Jones aged 18 in 1911.
He's living with his maternal grandparents - David and Jane Williams - in Llwydarth Road.
Though he's listed as their nephew!

That just leaves finding him in 1901 now.

Spoke to my mum. She remembers her father joking that he thought there were a total of 22 children born to John and Susannah including twins of which sometimes only one survived.
So I guess I've got a lot of hunting to do!