Author Topic: Convent schools in north Wales - 1880's  (Read 2188 times)

Offline catanaccio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Convent schools in north Wales - 1880's
« on: Monday 06 July 09 16:38 BST (UK) »
My wife's 2 x great-grandmother was, by family legend, educated at a convent school close to Rhyl sometime between, perhaps, 1875 and 1885.

There is no evidence anywhere in the family that she was Catholic and I am unsure whether there were equivalent faith based schoold for different denominations.  If so, then it is possible that she was at one of these rather than a Catholic convent school.  Or would she have been able to pay for a convent school education even if she was not of the Catholic faith?

What appears certain is that her education was paid for, or at very least subsidised, by a wealthy relation.

Can anyone point me towards any likely schools that she may have attended and whether any records from the school still exist for that period?

Many thanks.

Ian.

Offline Kyffin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Convent schools in north Wales - 1880's
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 08:15 BST (UK) »
The school at Pantasaph convent could be considered as " close to Rhyl"

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
Re: Convent schools in north Wales - 1880's
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 July 09 21:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Ian: There was a convent school in Russell Road in Rhyl. It was demolished say 30 years ago and replaced by detached houses.

Suggest you search the 1881 census for Rhyl in Flintshire (now part of Denbighshire) Some of the large properties in Russell Road were private schools and are now nursing homes.

Regards Eldon.
Hill in Tavistock, Twose and Coles in Halberton, Flower in Havant and Wells.
Negus in Polebrook  Jones in Kingswinford, Phillips in Chirk, Dodd in Cheshire