Author Topic: Dating a Real Photo Post Card and Identifying Men.  (Read 825 times)

Offline Beth42

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dating a Real Photo Post Card and Identifying Men.
« on: Tuesday 07 July 09 08:31 BST (UK) »
I think the man front row centre is James Mitchell (1879-1924), born in Londonderry, Ireland. The original sepia photo postcard has an uneven white border and measures 5.5 x 3.5 inches. The postcard back is divided and has "931B" near the centre line. Does that number help to give a more precise date? James Mitchell served in the Boer War and migrated to Canada about 1908. I would love to know names of the other men.
Phillips in South Barrow, Somerset, Greenwood in Lambeth
Mitchell in Londonderry, McFarland in Drumneechy
Bale in Barnstaple, Devon and Richmond, Melbourne

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Dating a Real Photo Post Card and Identifying Men.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 12:32 BST (UK) »
You have a time span of between 1902 and 1908 with this image being that divided backs to postcards came in, in 1902 and that James Mitchell went to Canada in or around 1908.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: Dating a Real Photo Post Card and Identifying Men.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 23:47 BST (UK) »
I think that works very well if the man is who you think he is, and was born 1879.

Without reading the rest or looking at OR's dating, I thought he looked in his mid twenties.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex