Author Topic: Help tracing a grave  (Read 3510 times)

Offline mafield

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help tracing a grave
« on: Tuesday 07 July 09 12:37 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to trace the burial place of my grandfather, who committed suicide on 18th August 1950, resident at Shardeloes Road, Brockley (Lewisham) at the time.
His name is William Henry Field, b. 02/04/1885.

I have newspaper cuttings of the inquest, and have contacted Lewisham Library, cemetaries and Honour Oak crematorium, but to no avail.

Any further help, suggestions would be appreciated.

Michael.

Offline briant

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help tracing a grave
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 July 09 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi mafield and welcome to RC,

Suicide was a sin in those and some Clergy refused to bury them,

About 1952,I was 7 at the time, a lady round the corner comitted suicide and when the local vicar refused to bury her, they had to take her to the parish she was born in over 70 miles away,

God knows what would have happened if she had been born in his parish

Was he born in the parish he died in or elseware?
Richardson    Westmorland & Cumberland
Hall,               Westmorland & Aussie
Titterington    Westmorland & Cumberland(Dalton Gamekeepers)

Cencus information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 July 09 20:59 BST (UK) »
I remember my grandmother talking about someone who committed suicide being buried in unconsecrated ground. I assume this was still part of the the churchyard, but I guess maybe the graves would be unmarked? 

Offline mafield

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 July 09 21:34 BST (UK) »
He was born in Deptford, London, the same area as he died, and lived all his life in the area, albeit at several different addresses.

I have tried the local newspapers of Lewisham, via Lewisham library to see if there was an obituary notice, but to no avail. Even the coroners inquest papers are no longer available.

I have also tried Honour Oak crematorium, outside the area, but the nearest crem. at the time, as the local one did not open until 1956 or thereabouts.

Although the address where he died was then called Brockley, it is now under the banner of Lewisham, as is Deptford.

From the newspaper reports of his suicide/inquest, it appears he was living with his daughter - not sure who's house it was, his or his daughter's but I would think she would have seen he had a marked grave, but if cremated, there would be record. 

Offline Marion_C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 July 09 20:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Mafield,

How sad about your grandfather.  Shardeloes Road is close to Nunhead Cemetery and also not far from Brockley and Ladywell Cemetery.  Both cemeteries have groups of Friends that may be able to do searches. 

http://www.queries.demon.co.uk/fonc/
http://www.foblc.org.uk/

Best of luck,

Marion