Author Topic: Elliotts of Faversaham  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Nev Carter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Carter Crest
    • View Profile
Elliotts of Faversaham
« on: Tuesday 07 July 09 15:16 BST (UK) »
This is not a look up as such as I have had people in Kent looking already, although not from any forum request.

I have hit a big stone wall trying to locate info on 2 Joseph Elliotts.

1. Joseph Elliott senior. born approx 1761 cant find in Kent. Got birth from this extract from Royal Gunpowder Factory records. "Millman, aged 28, in the service for 2 years in 1789 (SUPP5/114); rated for property on north side of West Street, also on west side of Tanners Street (53/61)"
He was married to Ann. Also lived in Partridge Lane.

2. Joseph Elliott junior, birth date unknown but have this extract also from Royal Gunpowder factory records "1794 (JO); labourer refining and extracting salt petre, RGF, 1795 & 1796 (SUPP5/72)"
I have his original Indenture that confirms he was apprenticed 1st Jan 1794. There is no record of Josephs birth or christening in Kent (that I can find).

Joseph married Mary Wells from Sevenoaks in 1816.
Their son Thomas emigrated to Australia, he is my Great Grandfather.
He is in the book, Founders of Australia and their Descendants which I can supply a copy of that part if anyone has an interest.
Mary came to Australia in 1856. It is unclear now if this was after the death of Joseph or whether he may have died at sea on voyage, as no death notice can be found. (you will find a Joseph Elliott death notice in 1856 in Faversham readily, this is not him, he was far too young, I have cert)

Joseph senior had 6 other children, all born and christened in Faversham.

Does anyone share these ancestors and can help fill in any gaps please?

cheers

Nev
Carter from Yorkshire, Elliott from Kent, Lambeth from London, Langtry from Liverpool and Ireland, Wishart from Cornwall and Virgo from Sussex.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Elliotts of Faversaham
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Nev

Were they a non-conformist family ie. probably not to be found in parish registers?

Have you found Mary in the 1841 and 1851 census?  Just wondering if there is any sign of her and/or Joseph which would perhaps narrow down a death date somewhat.  If not, when/where was their son Thomas (plus any other children) born and when did he/they emigrate?

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nev Carter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Carter Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 01:35 BST (UK) »
Casalguidi,

The family story is that Mary emigrated when Joseph junior died. From her death certificate that would be 1857, but we have found a Mary Elliott arriving Dec 1856 aged 63 (b1793). Her death certificate (3 March 1870) gives her age as 75, making a 1795 DOB.

I have not found any christening records for their children. William 1817, Jemima 1820, John 1824, Robert 1826, Thomas 16 Feb 1830 Faversham.

It would have been Joseph junior residing in Partridge lane.

An assumption I have made is that Joseph may have moved back to he and his fathers birthplace (wherever that may be) in later life, and died there. Also thought of Sevenoaks, but no luck there either.

The RGF records do not mention either Joseph other than what I have shown.

Cheers

Nev

PS I have been researching for 5 months so may not have looked at every possibility.

Carter from Yorkshire, Elliott from Kent, Lambeth from London, Langtry from Liverpool and Ireland, Wishart from Cornwall and Virgo from Sussex.

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 July 09 15:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Nev,

Do any of these events help?

ELLIOTT   Elizabeth   Chr.   27 Sep   1772   Henry/Mary   Ospringe   PR BT

ELLIOTT   Henry   C   18 Sep   1774   Henry/Mary   Ospringe   PR BT

ELLIOT   Mary   C   08 Mar   1778   Henry/Mary   Ospringe   PR BT

ELLIOTT   Sarah   C   30 Nov   1788   Joseph/Ann   Faversham   BT

ELLIOTT   William Henry   C   03 Nov   1790   Joseph/Ann   Faversham   BT

ELLIOTT   John   C   16 Oct   1792   Joseph/Ann   Faversham   BT

ELLIOTT   John   Born   16 Oct   1792   Joseph/Ann   Faversham Partridge Lane Independent   Church Records

ELLIOTT   Robert   C   06 Nov   1794   Joseph/Ann   Faversham   BT

ELLIOTT   Robert   Born   06 Nov   1794   Joseph/Ann   Faversham Partridge Lane   CR

ELLIOT   Ann   C   11 Nov   1796   Joseph/Ann   Faversham   BT

ELLIOT   Mary Ann   C   11 Oct   1801   Joseph/Ann   Faversham   BT

ELLIOT   Mary Ann   C   19 Sep   1802   Henry/Mary   Faversham   BT

ELLIOT   Henry   C   14 Apr   1805   Henry/Mary   Faversham   BT
ELLIOTT   Mary   C   30 Jan   1807   Henry/Mary   Faversham   BT

ELLIOT   Joseph   C   25 Dec   1808   Henry/Mary   Faversham   BT
ELLIOT   Mary Ann    Chr   07 Jul   1811   Henry/Mary   Faversham   BT
ELLIOTT   Edward   C   26 Dec   1813   Henry/Mary   Faversham   BT

ELLIOTT   Sarah   C   23 Nov   1828   Henry/Mary   Faversham   BT

ELLIOTT   Catherine   C   10 Apr   1835   Henry/Mary   Faversham   BT

ELLIOT   Henry   MILLSTED   Mary   M   16 Nov   1816   both of this parish, both single - banns. Wit: Samuel Bridgelands/John Lott   Ospringe   PR BT

ELLIOTT   Joseph   Burial   20 Dec   1826   64 (bc 1762)   Faversham   PR BT

Note that Joseph, Sr. appears to have christened at least 2 of his children at Partridge Lane Independent.

Could Joseph Jr. have become known as Henry in order to differentiate himself from his father, or is this Henry of circa 1800 the son of the Henry at Ospringe? 

Lastly, Elliott was a big surname in Quaker records but unfortunately your  Josephs do not show up in the Kent Quarterly Digest.  You might want to try searching the Quaker records online at

http://aol.bmdregisters.co.uk/index.php

Registration is required to search but it is free.  Minimal search results are also free but to do advanced searching and to view images one must subscribe.

Regards,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline Nev Carter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Carter Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 July 09 03:47 BST (UK) »
Susan

That is very good information, I did have some the children s names and birth years from RGF records, and the rest from Parish Records that I found, but not christening dates, nor did I have Joseph seniors death date.

What does the BT stand for on your list?

I think the Henry is from Ospringe and not Joseph jnr. Joseph being apprenticed in 1794 makes his birth, I think around or prior to 1784. I have found some apprentices in single digit age group, but most others in early teens. He may have also got apprenticed early as his father was employed there and it seems family connections did make a difference in some employment groups as there was a knowledge base to draw from.

I just blew 40 credits on the BMD register.

Mary and her son Thomas were buried as Church of England here in Australia, but this does not follow that was what they were in the UK.

Regards

Nev

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 July 09 15:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Nev,

The BT signifies the Bishop's Transcripts for the parish as lodged with the Canterbury Cathedral Archives.

You are quite right in thinking that the Henry is not Joseph, Jr..  However, I had to 'throw it out there' as frequently a son was known by a 'pet' name to differentiate him from the father.  In the absence of corroborating evidence one can never really be 100% certain that one is not the other, etc. 

Given the later 1790s christenings at Partridge Lane Independent it is interesting that your Joseph, Sr.'s family did not appear in the BMD registers.  I have discovered, today, that another Elliott group from Faversham immigrated to the U.S. during 1844 with the Mormon immigration.  So, it would seem that there is a certain contingent of Elliotts that were non-conformist while in England.

I shall keep my eye out for your fellows as I am routiney in Kent registers.  In the meantime, good luck with your hunt!

Regards,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline Nev Carter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Carter Crest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 July 09 00:52 BST (UK) »
Susan,

Thanks for your help.

One/some of Thomas Elliotts siblings went to the USA. I know this as Mary, their mother corresponded with them while she was in Australia. I have not chased this side up as yet.

Joseph jnr. and Mary had 6 children, I got this and the names/dates from her death certificate.
They were:-

William 1817
Jemima 1820
John 1824
Robert 1826
Joseph 1828
Thomas 16 Feb 1830. (Australia)

We also do not know when Thomas left the UK, but we have him crossing from Tasmania to Victoria in 1847 on the "Scout". Whether he transferred from a UK passage to a Bass Strait trader to complete his journey, or stayed some time in Tasmania is unclear.

Are any of these on the USA list?

cheers

Nev

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 July 09 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Nev,

First, I need to correct the immigration year of Thomas and Sarah Elliott due to a slip of a finger.  These two immigrated to the US with the Mormon Immigration from Faversham on 7 Feb 1854 not 1844.

Unfortunately, I do not have any other Elliotts on my limited immigration resources.  There are no centralized mandatory arrival records in the U.S. at that early time although arrival records were kept at each port.  There were no pre-determined set of criteria that had to be met by anyone immigrating to the U.S..  Naturalization only became an issue if someone wished to vote, take public office or partake in government assistance programs.

It will be critical for you to know what State in the US the Elliott siblings settled.  Broadly speaking, each State is administered under its own State laws so all vital statistics, naturalizations and immigration records are kept at the State and local city/town levels.  Not all categories of records were begun or maintained at dates consistent with neighbouring States and in States hit hardest by the American Civil War (1860s) many records now no longer exist.

Sorry I am unable to be of much help with this.

Regards,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner