Author Topic: Lookup Please - John MAY family - near Edinburgh and in Ireland  (Read 12599 times)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lookup Please - John MAY family - near Edinburgh and in Ireland
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 03 June 12 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

I don't have details of :-
4-8 Agnes Coul
4-9 George Ritchie Coul (Coull)
4-10 Robina Ritchie Coul
4-11 Andrew Cunningham Coul (Coull)

but I have the first 7.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 04 June 12 12:46 BST (UK) »
hi, dend me a pm and email address and i will invite you to view that tree on ancestry traills were trail de holland an ariocratic family an cosins to william of orange george the farmer traillde holland was his third cousin.
look forward to hearing from you, i will write you in as a contributor, if you open the tree there is a tab next to it with tree settings and then over on the rhside is where it says download gedcom it first makes a gedcom file and then you can save it to your computor or a disc which is what i have done, please be careful not to delete it this is 12yrs work for me. i have 7 trees and 5 of them lead to aristocracy my nan told me our family are full of aristos thi
eves and poets, i have found the aristos, not found rob roy yet or rabbie burns, but you never know?
marjorie......let me know if problems, my 5th cousinalso has access to my tree and lives in canada.i can ask him to allow you to contact him it may help,
my o'may family were in renfrew, campbelltown north carolina new zealand/ausrelated to the campbells including the earl of arran and argylland originate from ireland thomas o'may married a mary/margaret swan and emigrated and i am in contact withother cousins who may able to assist should you become stuck.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline may2491

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 05 November 12 19:40 GMT (UK) »
John (johnsmay13),

Thank you for responding about the May family in Ireland and Scotland on 17 January.  I was doing a search and see your reply now.  I wish I checked back sooner. 

My uncle visited Skerries many years ago and told me about Joe May's pub.

My May family ancestors were of Skerries.  My great-great-grandfather was a fisherman or boatman who died apparently lost at sea ab. 1868.  He had a boat registered in Stornoway, Scotland.  My great-grandfather emigrated to America as a boy or young man in the 1870s or 1880s. 

Does your ancestry in Skerries go to that time period?  If not, do you know of other May families there?  Thank you.

Timothy May

-----------------------------------------------------

May family in Ireland and Edinburgh

In relation to North county Dublin. I used to live in Skerries a fishing village some 20 miles north of Dublin. There was a pub on the dock side that was called Joe May's and the owner was a Joe may and his family were fishing folk from that area.

I talked to him and he had a vague recollection of his ancesters coming from Scotland, where he did not know.

But knowing the name May when associated to fishing families is primarily associated with the East Coast of Scotland and in particular the Forth area, then it may well be that is where they came from.

I hope this helps.
Co. Dublin: May

Offline ab325

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 18 June 15 16:12 BST (UK) »
Does the name Lydia appear anywhere connected to a May?  I recently found a marriage record for a John May and Lydia Williamson in Ohio dated about 1809. The date and place sounds reasonable according to the time the children were born in Scotland and Ireland and it being near where other descendants lived.
Bryce (Doune), May (within 15 miles of Edinburgh), McLaren

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 22 June 15 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Ab325,

I have just sent you an private message as your email notifications have not been working for some time, it looks like that you may have changed email address.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 15 July 15 23:51 BST (UK) »
Does the name Lydia appear anywhere connected to a May?  I recently found a marriage record for a John May and Lydia Williamson in Ohio dated about 1809. The date and place sounds reasonable according to the time the children were born in Scotland and Ireland and it being near where other descendants lived.
npt that I know of most of my o'may Ancestors came from around campbeltown area or we believe cavan in ireland but not proven as yet.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet