Author Topic: The chamber maid  (Read 1977 times)

Offline Lindarae

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
The chamber maid
« on: Saturday 26 February 05 17:14 GMT (UK) »
So,here is the story that has been passed down thru the generations.My great grandfather George Watson,born 1884 Isle of Man at Douglas,is said to be the illigitimate son of one of the Quayles of Clychur bridge house.The story is his mother was a servant in the house and we think her surname was Watson,not sure.He left IOM at age 13,settled in Michigan,USA.

Any Help????

Offline lesd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: The chamber maid
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 April 05 07:04 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been there and done all that, a couple of things you could try, first is to have someone check the 1891 census to see if he is listed. My Grandfather was not although he was born in 1888 so should have been. I managed to get a birth certificate from the IOM Registry and gave me mother and date but no father. Like all things in this game don't take all things at face value, I looked up, the 1901 Census and found a mispelt name that may have been him and lucky for me it was, he had been placed in the Douglas Industrial Home and I visited them during a recent visit and they have all the archives and found the details for me.

I f you need the details on how to contact them reply and I will get the details from my records and post to you.

If you need any further suggestions on where to go let me know,

Rgds,

LesD
Research Names -- Smithson, Dickinson, Craven, Christian, Perry, Hayes, Law, Shaw