Author Topic: Wiltshire Parish Records - George GRAY born c1779  (Read 3669 times)

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wiltshire Parish Records - George GRAY born c1779
« on: Friday 10 July 09 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hi all!

I am looking for the birth/christening record of George GRAY, born between approx 1775 and 1782-ish "somewhere in Wiltshire" who would would fit in with the following details:

Married Priscilla BURTON, St Swithins, Bath, 30th April 1798.  (Christened Priscilla BOURTON in Clyffe Pypard in 1778, daughter of Edward BOURTON and Ann/Nanny TEAGLE, both  of Winterbourne Bassett.)

1799 Daughter Rebecca GRAY christened Winterbourne Bassett.

1805-9 Children Isaac, Eliza and Virtue GRAY born Avoncliff, christened Murhill Chapel, Winsley.

1817 George GRAY described as "miller" on daughter Harriet's christening record from Winsley.  (GRAYE in BTs)

1819 Further son, George GRAY christened at Winsley.

1841 Census.  Age 60, "navigater" Limpley Stoke, Wilts with Priscilla 60 and Rebecca 40.  All born in Wiltshire.  (Precise address was apparently "Stoke Gate House and Bridge".)

1845 Dies on 13 April in Limpley Stoke, age 66.

I have done a quick search of the "completed board" and didn't spot anything similar.

Most of the George GRAYs listed on IGI are the wrong person (married someone else, etc), therefore I am trying to find out what other information people might have online before investigating at the WRO, since that's a fair way away and it could be a rather long search!

I'd be very grateful if anyone can help me find George GRAY.

Thanks very much!  :)

Therese.
Berkshire: Atty, Carter, Dowlin, Knibb, Long, Wheeler.
Devon: Channon, Dunsford, Hawkins, James, Payne, Pope, Snow, Willis, Wilson.
Bristol/Bedminster: Hawkins.
Cambridgeshire: Randall, Squires.
Kent: Burren, Buss, Field, Foster, Gates, Glover, Homewood, Hunt, Large, Link, Rabbitt, Ventum.
Somerset: Adams, Allen, Lockyer, Savage.
Warwickshire: Knibb.
Wiltshire: Akerman, Bourton/Borton, Burden, Clarke, Dodson, Fry, Gray, Lea, Munday, Rummin(ge), Stiles, Stratton, Teagle, Underwood, Weston.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wiltshire Parish Records - George GRAY born c1779
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 July 09 12:25 BST (UK) »
I've found this one in Semley:

George Gray baptised 24 Oct 1779, parents James & Elizabeth.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 July 09 19:44 BST (UK) »
Yes - I saw that one on IGI.  I thought it looked by far the most likely of the ones there as his grandfather, uncle, cousin, etc were called Isaac (his first son's name), there was a quite closely related Rebecca, etc.

Unfortunately, someone told me he married a Christiana FELTHAM.  I asked my sister in law to check this as she is an Ancestry member and the marriage record is on there but she hasn't got back to me yet.  (I must remind her!)

Anyway, thanks for looking.  :)

Therese.

Kent: Burren, Buss, Field, Foster, Gates, Glover, Homewood, Hunt, Large, Link, Rabbitt, Ventum.
Wiltshire: Akerman, Bourton/Borton, Burden, Clarke, Dodson, Fry, Gray, Lea, Munday, Rummin(ge), Stiles, Stratton, Teagle, Underwood, Weston.

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 18:02 BST (UK) »
It turns out that the information on Christiana FELTHAM was wrong.

See completed "Tisbury PRs lookup" about George GRAY and Christiana FELTHAM.  (What a pain not being able to cut and paste things here!)

Anyway, George GRAY c1779 of Semley is not out of the question after all.

Thanks!  :)

Therese.

Offline chloed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 08:05 BST (UK) »
my mother-in-law has been searching this family for years and is of the opinion george gray came from the mere area , as yet we have no proof.
davis,pantell,pearce.hereford<br />barker,hunter,marshall,,berkshire.<br />notting,small,vincent,house,michel,vyvans,tubbs,spearing,burriss,candy,chaldecott,dorset.<br />meyer,grant,heale,pengilly,winget,hawkins,devon.<br />lawes,dyke,drewett,coster,wilts/hants.<br />worwood,whellock,griffith,lee,,card,randall,london/lambeth/rotherhithe ,east wickham.young,tooley,nevil,chipping norton.legg, cheshunt.<br />scott,smither,spencer,taylor, farnham;surrey. halfacre ,hants.

Offline Family Therese

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 08:24 BST (UK) »
My only problem with that is that, if it's the George GRAY shown on IGI as "born about 1778" in Mere, he married Martha WYER on 21 Nov 1803.   

(Indeed, I assume the "about 1778" birth record on IGI is based on the age shown on the marriage record in Mere PRs rather than any independent record.)

Do you have another George GRAY born in Mere at about that time in mind?  If so, I'd love to see the evidence!  :)

(BTW, your mother-in-law isn't Christine is she?  If so, I've been exchanging e-mails with her for a while, including finding George and Priscilla's wedding, Priscilla's parents, etc.)

Thanks!  :)

Therese.

Offline chloed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 09:12 BST (UK) »
hello therese
no my mother-in-laws name is beryl , she is in her 80's now , she lives in london and having seen your post about the wilcot marriage , she is planning a trip to kew and sog in the near future, all her work is on paper [old school]  and i am too far away to get  it on line.
beryl is descended from virtue [1809] gray who married isaac bullock.
can u pm me your email address and then i can send u mine
regards chloe
davis,pantell,pearce.hereford<br />barker,hunter,marshall,,berkshire.<br />notting,small,vincent,house,michel,vyvans,tubbs,spearing,burriss,candy,chaldecott,dorset.<br />meyer,grant,heale,pengilly,winget,hawkins,devon.<br />lawes,dyke,drewett,coster,wilts/hants.<br />worwood,whellock,griffith,lee,,card,randall,london/lambeth/rotherhithe ,east wickham.young,tooley,nevil,chipping norton.legg, cheshunt.<br />scott,smither,spencer,taylor, farnham;surrey. halfacre ,hants.