Author Topic: Frederick James Bohm 1879-1938  (Read 1640 times)

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Frederick James Bohm 1879-1938
« on: Friday 10 July 09 11:06 BST (UK) »
In the process of researching the above in the Australia section, I discovered that he and his family also spent some time in South Africa. I would like to know more about his and his families time there. Can anyone help, please?

I know that Mrs Alice Jane Leigh Bohm, and her 2 children, Dorothy Blanche and Frederick William, departed from London on 8 August 1903 on the Sophocles bound for Australia but this party was ticketed to Cape Town. The subject spent 3.5 years in the South African Forces finishing as a Corporal. At least 2 of his children, were born in South Africa. On the 17 August 1914 he enlisted in the 1st Divisional Signal Company in Sydney Australia! His Wife and family (now 5 Children) were back in England.

I should like to know anything about their time in South Africa and why they left and split up, one going to Australia and the family back to England. We know that they must have been reunited in Australia as they all died there. Did he see any action in South Africa?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Bill

Offline DelvaP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick James Bohm 1879-1938
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 July 09 17:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Bill
it would appear that he bought property in the Cape in 1904   check National Archives
Good luck with the search!!
Delva
Palmer(Hampshire) Norman (Dorset) Jones (Wales) Howgego (Essex) Rhodes(Yorkshire) McLuckie (Stirling, Scotland) Ward (Ireland)

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick James Bohm 1879-1938
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 July 09 19:02 BST (UK) »
Delva

Apologies for not responding sooner, but thank you for your advice.

Bill