Author Topic: William Duncan in Abbey, SK  (Read 3995 times)

Offline Stuart P

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Duncan in Abbey, SK
« on: Friday 10 July 09 14:27 BST (UK) »
Searching for info on William Duncan. Born ca 1888 in Rhynie, Aberdeenshire, Scotland, spent early childhood in neighbouring parish of Cabrach. Farmer near Abbey, SK with a wife called "Aggie".
All Cabrach, Fyvie, Methlick in Aberdeenshire
Mee, Merrin, Stevenson in Notts Derby

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: William Duncan in Abbey, SK
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 July 09 14:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart

I'm pretty sure I have them in the 1916 census. Do you know when they married? IF its the right couple they don't have any children yet. Check out ourroots.ca, this site has the Abbey history book digitalized & they are in it:

Bridging the Centuries: Shackleton, Abbey, Lancer, Portreeve, Vol.1

Cordially,
Lisa

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 July 09 14:56 BST (UK) »
This may be him on the 1911 Canada census:
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=145847

This chap is single, a farmer born July 1888 and immigrated in 1907.

There is a William Duncan age 20, a Scot arriving Halifax NS and Portland Maine on 16 March 1907. Occupation given as a carpenter and headed to Toronto. Departure was from Liverpool.

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 July 09 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi again Stuart,

Also keep your eye on the Saskatchewan Vital Statistics genealogy indexes. Right now they probably have nothing indexed that would help you but I'm sure it will in the future. We have "tight" privacy laws births can be searched if older than 100yrs, deaths 70 yrs, & marriages 75 yrs. At the present they have transcribed the births, & have deaths prior to 1917, no marriages yet.

Lisa

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 July 09 16:07 BST (UK) »
The Abbey farmer according to that book (great find by Lisa) was born August 12, 1885. Says he came to Canada in March 1909.

The earlier one found on the 1911 census in Moose Jaw district appears to be born July 1888 and immigrated March 1907. Address 21.22.3. Month looks good.

There is also a James Ellis and William James Ellis in Moose Jaw district that could be the cousin as mentioned in the book.

There is also in Moose Jaw district this William Duncan born Jan 1884 on this transcribed 1911 census (has 1901 printed on 1911 census physical form - a bit confusing); however, has immigration date as 1904, definitely looks like 4. Could it possibly be 1909. Address is 4.25.W2 The entry for the person below is definitely 1909:
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=145676

Some confusion for your William Duncan and his birth & immigration dates? If you know his physical address it would help to match your William Duncan to his 1911 census entry.

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline Stuart P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 July 09 18:42 BST (UK) »
My William Duncan appears in the Scottish censuses age 2 and 12 in 1891 & 1901 - parents George Duncan and Jane Wright. His wife Aggie was known to be corresponding with my grandmother in Aberdeen in the late 1940s from Abbey.

Lisaw - What are the details in the 1916 census - what age and nationality is William's wife? If Scottish I'll try to find a marriage in Scotland. Does that census have immigration dates?

Thanks everyone.
All Cabrach, Fyvie, Methlick in Aberdeenshire
Mee, Merrin, Stevenson in Notts Derby

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 July 09 20:06 BST (UK) »
Marrying in June 1916, this could be them in 1916 :

Saskatchewan Twp 2, R22, W3 M, 28 Maple Creek
William Duncan 27 immigrated 1911 farmer
Agnes Duncan 21 wife immigrated 1914
Both born Scotland

Still does not match the book immigration of March 1909. Agnes 1914 matches.

Linda

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 July 09 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart,

Both the census & the history book state she is from Scotland. IF the couple in the history book are the same couple you are looking for I really suggest you read it,... you will like what you read.

According to the census William immigrated in 1911 & Agnes in 1914. Both born in Scotland, William about 1889, Agnes about 1895. They are Presbyterian. It gives land location: township 21, range 22 west of the 3rd meridian in the municipality of ???Cl....worth??? no. 235

I can send you the image if you like.

Lisa

Offline Lisaw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 July 09 20:07 BST (UK) »
Beat me to it lol.

In any case most likely looking for a Saskatchewan marriage & you won't find it on line as of yet.

Lisa