Author Topic: William Duncan in Abbey, SK  (Read 3996 times)

Offline Stuart P

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Duncan in Abbey, SK
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 July 09 20:27 BST (UK) »
Found the biography thanks. Apart from the year of birth being wrong, everything else looks good, including middle name Wright for one of his children.
All Cabrach, Fyvie, Methlick in Aberdeenshire
Mee, Merrin, Stevenson in Notts Derby

Offline waiteohman

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 July 09 21:06 BST (UK) »
LOL

There is a William Duncan, farm labourer aged 24 born Scotland travelling from Liverpool on S.S. Corsican. Destination Winnipeg, MB. This one sounds promising. Arrived Halifax April 1st, 1910, departed Liverpool in March. He was travelling on a British Bonus Allowance, a commission paid to steamship booking agents to attract suitable immigrants to Canada. Farm skills would have been an attractive skill for settlers.

Linda
Dorman, Waite, Moore, Clark/Clarke, Neil, Rennie/Rainey, Brown, Mclean, Day, Millar/Miller, Gunion/Gunzion, Thomson, Black, Milvain, McCubbin, Steadman, Kirby

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 July 09 02:41 BST (UK) »
Hello

I have posted this information on the Rootsweb Genealogy Mailing Lists  but will post it on Rootschat also.

Check out the following website www.ourroots.ca/toc.aspx?id=9056 for information on William Duncan and spouse Agnes Stenhouse.
Check out page 186 and 706.

Saskatchewan has a large number of history books on the Ourroots website which  one can read  in their entirety.

It is a great site and I have used it extensively.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline Stuart P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 July 09 13:10 BST (UK) »
For any others following this family, the "cousin" Jimmy Ellis mentioned in the biography notes for William Duncan  was actually a half-first-cousin once removed.
William was the son of George Duncan and Jane Wright, George the son of Alexander Duncan and Isobel Dawson.
James Ellis Duncan was the illegitimate son of Isabella Duncan, daur of Alexander Duncan & Margaret Kellas, Alexander the son of Alexander Duncan and Isobel Brown. Isobel Dawson and Isobel Brown were married to the same Alexander.
See http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/stuartpetrie/

Offline corinthic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 June 11 12:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've just found this post and wonder if the Willie & Aggie Duncan stayed at a ranch, Box 156 Abbey. My wife is a Carnie and her grandmother was Isabella Dawson Duncan, born Aldivalloch, Cabrach 11.09.1886, daughter of George Duncan and Jane Wright. My Mother-in-law corresponded with the Duncans up to the 1980, but that Bill & Aggie had childern and grandchildren.
Regards,
George

Offline Stuart P

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 June 11 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi George
I can't confirm the postal address, but I believe William Duncan's ranch might have been closer to Lancer than Abbey (about 7 miles down the road).  I have discovered quite a few grandchildren and gt-grandchildren.
George Duncan & Jane Wright were my 2xgt-grandparents.
I know that Isabella Dawson Duncan married a George Morrison, but was not aware of any children.
Stuart

Offline corinthic

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 26 June 11 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hello Stuart,
IsabellaDawson Duncan had 2 female children with a Peter Gordon before marriage and then had two sons by William Morrison. William the older, who did not have family and George, who has two children and (I think) 6 grandchildren and still lives in Kintore.
The older Gordon daughter, Jean, did not marry, but the younger, Mary (my Mother-in Law), had 2 children and 5 grandchildren and from there, there are 7 great grandchildren.
We now live in Aberdeen and I'm on * if you want to explore the family further.
Kind regards,
George
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php