Author Topic: Smith Marriage!!!!  (Read 2093 times)

Offline lizzie45

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Smith Marriage!!!!
« on: Friday 10 July 09 15:19 BST (UK) »
Hi
Can anyone help with this"needle in the haystack".I'm looking for a marriage of Albert Ernest Smith b.1917 d. 2005 196 Bowbridge Rd Newark.His wife was still alive then as she is given as the informant but frustratingly there is no record of her maiden name just Enid Mary Smith in the signature box and a dash where her maiden name should be.
I would welcome any suggestions or help in this matter
Thank you
Lizzie

Offline jacques

• I have opted not to receive notification of any new replies to my posts.
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Smith Marriage!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 July 09 16:14 BST (UK) »
Do you have the names of any of Alberts children, obtaining a Birth cert should give you Enids maiden name.

Pam
Wragg Sheffield/Rotherham
Noble  Sheffield/Derby
Kirk     Sheffield/Northumberland
Lenton Sheffield
Ward  Deryshire
Twigg Derbyshire

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright(see www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 July 09 16:31 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage in Newark Jun 1930 between an Albert E Smith and Ivy M French. There is a birth Sept 1932 for an Edward T Smith with mothers maiden name French.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 July 09 16:48 BST (UK) »
If Albert was born in 1917 - this marriage would be too early as he'd only be 13

Laurina
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizzie45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 July 09 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone
Yes the 1930 marriage would be too early.His Birth is definitely 1917 and as I'm pretty certain his father would have not given permission to marry I think the earliest would be 1939.
Another sticking point is Albert was born in Rotherham but in 1939 joined the RAF so he could have married anywhere.
I've been on RAF help pages but they don't release information only to close relatives and then only with proof of identity.
Lizzie

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 July 09 09:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzie,

It is a bit of a needle in a haystack.  :-\  Do you know if they had any children?  As Pam says, a birth cert would give her maiden name.

Otherwise it means checking every Albert Ernest (or Albert E.) Smith marriage, then checking the wife's first name from the spouse surname given for each marriage

Do you know roughly when she died? (I'm assuming she has) It might be worth trying to find her death certificate.  You could contact Newark Register Office  http://www.rootschat.com/links/06og/
Newark District Register Office
County Council Offices
Balderton Gate, Newark
Nottinghamshire
NG24 1UW
Tel: 01636 705455

I wonder if she was born in Nottinghamshire?  Guessing at her date of birth, there seem to be only 2 Enid Mary births from 1910-1920 in Notts.,  both Basford June Quarter 1910
 Basford    7b   318     HARTSHORN    Enid Mary 
 Basford    7b   232     WALKER    Enid Mary
although she could have been registered under Enid M - and she also could have been born anywhere,  in which case there are lots more possibilities.  I'm only telling you this to underline the problem.

Barbara  :)   
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Laurina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 July 09 16:02 BST (UK) »
Albert E Smith
3Q 1917 Rotherham  Yorkshire  9c  1191
Mother's Name: McLean 

Albert Ernest Smith
Birth Date: 31 May 1917
Death Mar 2005 Newark  Nottinghamshire  56A  688/1  108 
Age at death (estimated): 87

Here's his birth and death - so I guess you're looking for a marriage after 1939.

Laurina
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 July 09 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Laurina,

From her first post, I think Lizzie already has the death cert as she knows Enid Mary Smith was the informant.

It's the marriage which is the problem, and as Pam has already said, the best way to narrow down both the dates and the wife's maiden surname, is to try to find out if Albert had any children and find Enid's maiden name from one of their birth certs

Barbara   :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline lizzie45

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 July 09 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes I have Alberts Birth and Death certificates.I've just started a search of just entering Enid Mary and recording the name from the most likely areas like Rotherham and Notts.At least Enid is more uncommon than some names but its still a mamouth task unless anyone can think of an easier option.
Thank you to everyone for the interest in this problem.
Lizzie