Author Topic: Help! Maria Constance Maud MOSTYN  (Read 8806 times)

Offline alibongo13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help! Maria Constance Maud MOSTYN
« on: Friday 10 July 09 18:35 BST (UK) »
Trying to trace anything about Maria Mostyn (daughter of landed proprietor) - all I can find of her is on statutory birth of her daughter Elvira Maria Adelphi Moralejo (b.6/12/1902 Newington, Edinburgh - illegitimate - father Venancio Moralejo medical student).  I can't find Maria anywhere but believe she later went on to live with/marry Harold Dickson (lawyer) (who committed suicide!) and then she lived with/married George Watson.
Any help/info would be great thanks.

Offline Thinlizy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Elizabeth Henderson, my grandmother, on the right
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Maria Constance Maud MOSTYN
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 July 09 07:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Alibongo13, Welcome. Saw your plight this morning, Mostyn is a fairly unusual name thought would give it a try for you. As you say there does not seem to be a trace of the family but did you do a search on the English census. Mostyn seems to be quite a disparate name in England. Also tried the BDM Index again many Mostyns but cannot find the exact given names. When you try the search ask for exact search on Mostyn or you will get alot of unnecessary names, there are enough Mostyns without the rest. If you search the 1891 English census there are 2 candidates for your search one Maria H parents Arthur and Josephine and the other Maria B parents Hugh and Ellen, both have several other children and also have servants! This may fit with your land proprietor. Hope this is of some use, my English geography is hopeless so cannot give you the relationships between counties etc, but I am sure somebody here will be able to help with that, Good hunting , T
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
  Scotland: Borders, Forth Valley & Lothians: Bremner, Eddington/Edington, Ferguson, Flucker, Henderson, Hitchcock. Caithness area & North Isles: Bremner & Rendall.
England: Buckinghamshire area, London/Middlesex, Northamptonshire  area: Devonshire, Hitchcock

Offline Thinlizy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Elizabeth Henderson, my grandmother, on the right
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 July 09 08:01 BST (UK) »
Hi again, just decided to see if I could find Elvira's father think I have found him on 3 UK Incoming Passenger List of 1923, 1933, 1937 with a country of origin as Venezuela. Listed as a Doctor, Surgeon & Physician. Seems to be a passenger rather than crew. It was easy to find, T
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
  Scotland: Borders, Forth Valley & Lothians: Bremner, Eddington/Edington, Ferguson, Flucker, Henderson, Hitchcock. Caithness area & North Isles: Bremner & Rendall.
England: Buckinghamshire area, London/Middlesex, Northamptonshire  area: Devonshire, Hitchcock

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 July 09 08:50 BST (UK) »
Hello,

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.[/b]

Regards,   Steve

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 July 09 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi All

Elvira's father shows not surprisingly on the 1901 census in Edinburgh - as transcribed:

Venancio Noralejo 21, lodger, medical student, b. Spanish Subj, Kineguela (likely Venezuela from the details you have found T) at 46 Warrender Pk Rd, Newington, Midlothian.

Can't see any sign of mother in 1901 census in Scotland.

Alibongo, welcome to RootsChat  :) You have a few details on Maria Constance, what is the source?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 July 09 10:09 BST (UK) »
Father Venancio does not show on the British Medical Register, so one assumes he left the country and returned to Venezuela once qualified, again supposted by the info that T found.

Monica

Offline alibongo13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 July 09 17:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica
Thanks for details of Elvira's father under Noralejo - its a great help and so obviously him.
Only way I know anything of her mother is on Statutory Birth Index on Scotspeople which gives name of mother as Maria Constance Maud Mostyn daughter of landed proprietor other than that and the fact she aparently lived with/married Harold Dickson and after he committed suicide she lived with/married George Watson its a great void.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 July 09 19:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Alibongo

Just trying to get a better understanding of the information that you have which might throw up a lead:

- what is the source of the info for the possible husbands for Maria, the mother
- does the birth cert for Elvira actually show Maria as daughter of landed propietor
- what do you know of Elvira and her early years; was she brought up by her mother or other family and in which country

Monica

Offline alibongo13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 July 09 19:24 BST (UK) »
Monica thanks for response
To answer your Qs
Source for possible husbands for Maria from elderly relative living abroad.

Yes actually shows Maria as 'daughter of landed proprietor' on Record of Statutory Births on Scotspeople - excuse my ignorance but is this same info as on birth cert in Scotland as I do not actually have copy.

Yes Elvira seems to have been brought up by Maria and Harold Dickson and then George Watson but not sure where.