Author Topic: Help! Maria Constance Maud MOSTYN  (Read 8808 times)

Offline cupoftea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Maria Constance Maud MOSTYN
« Reply #18 on: Friday 31 December 10 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica
Thanks for details of Elvira's father under Noralejo - its a great help and so obviously him.
Only way I know anything of her mother is on Statutory Birth Index on Scotspeople which gives name of mother as Maria Constance Maud Mostyn daughter of landed proprietor other than that and the fact she aparently lived with/married Harold Dickson and after he committed suicide she lived with/married George Watson its a great void.

Hi - this is my first time on this site, so apologies if I'm not doing it right!  I believe you are looking for info on Elvira Moralejo's mother, Maria Mostyn?  Maria married George Watson and had several children, and in addition, brought up Elvira's  daughter Valerie.  Is it Maria you wanted to find out about, or Elvira?

Offline cupoftea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 31 December 10 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Think I've posted my first post in the wrong place - sorry!  If you're still looking for information on Maria Mostyn, Elvira Moralejo and Venancio, I think I could help a bit.  Maria married George Watson who was apparantly from a wealthy family who didn't approve!  Maria and George had several children and also brought up Elvira's first daughter as their own (Valerie ).  Is it Maria or Elvira you are looking for info on?  I stumbled on this site cos I was looking for more information about Venancio

Offline alibongo13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 31 December 10 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi cupoftea - i'm somewhat of a novice to this as well.  Yes it is Maria Constance Mostyn I am still searching for.  I only have scant details of George Watson but have no knowledge of Elvira having a daughter Valerie so would be interested if you think you can shed any light. Thanks.

Offline cupoftea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 31 December 10 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi - this is very exciting!  Maria married George Watson, she already had a daughter, Maud Dickson, and Elvira, and went on to have Georgina, Dorothy, Theresa (Terry), Leybourne and John by George Watson.  Elvira had a child (Valerie) who was brought up by Maria and George as their own.

Elvira ended up in Norway, and married and had a family, and apparantly introduced fish and chips to the Norwegians!
I have a photo of Venancio as a young man.

Offline alibongo13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 31 December 10 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Great news indeed - we knew of Maud's existence but were led to believe that  Georgina, Dorothy, Terry, Leybourne and John were George's children from a previous marriage.  We also know of the Norwegian connection and have a photo of the chip van!
How fascinating you have a photo of Venancio - what's does he look like??
Do you have details of Maria's birth or marriage to George?

Offline cupoftea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 31 December 10 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Bit more! - Maria & George moved from Edinburgh to Upper Norwood, London in the 1920s and later to Streatham, London.  Valerie was born in 1927 - father was a chemist (married unfortunately)
Maria was known as Mary - she was born in 1874 and died in 1953.  

Do you have any more info on Venancio?  I always thought he was South American, but Norwegian connection said Spanish - he is dressed in Ambassador's uniform - not sure if this is another story!

Offline cupoftea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 31 December 10 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Have several photos of Maria - would have to scan them (not very computer savvy)  will get daughter to help another time.  Am I allowed to ask your connection?  Not sure what the protocol is.

Offline alibongo13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 31 December 10 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Like you have no idea of protocol here!  We are from Elvira's line how about you.  Very intereted to hear of your Norwegian connection as we have relatives over there.

Offline cupoftea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 31 December 10 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Apologies for bombarding you, - Dorothy died last year aged 99 - lived in Switzerland for all her adult life, Theresa also died last year aged 98,  the others all some time ago, except Valerie (my connection).

Valerie was born in 1927 and placed in an orphanage by Elvira, - Maria and George found out and took her home where she was brought up as theirs.  Maria and George were very kind & loving and she had a very happy childhood.

I thought Maria's father was a glassblower?  that was what we were told but not sure if it's true.  We have a very old piece of glass that is meant to have been made by him.