Author Topic: Cavendish Alberta - Looking for a needle in a haystack  (Read 5173 times)

Offline porcelayne ladye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Cavendish Alberta - Looking for a needle in a haystack
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 July 09 01:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Jacquie
Thanks for your reply I have searched the 1911 census on the  automated genealogy site you suggested.
Have come across two possible Fred Newman's  but its not 1.30am in UK and will check through my notes for more proof in the morning.
Maureen kindly checked the 1916 Census for me on Ancestry?  I have checked  indexes on Ancestry.co.uk and Ancestry.com  could not find them do you have another version in Canada. 0r was it on another site I do not have access to Ancestry only the indexes. Maureen if you see this can you let me know which version.  As I wanted to know if Anthony and Frederick were living together or separately.

Good Night

porcelayne ladye
Grainger Worcestershire before 1850
Chamberlain Worcester before 1850
Cowburn Preston-Salford Lancashire  before 1850   Beaumont Norfolk Sussex ALL
Knapp Worcestershire before 1850
Lee     Worcestershire before  1850
Rex     Devon               before 1850
Wainwright.Portsea. Hampshire. Before 1850
Pardoe                 Worcestershirebefore 1850
Grainger              Manchester   All
Berkshire Family History Society
0xfordshire Family History Society

Online Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 July 09 01:45 BST (UK) »
Ancestry.ca has Canadian census from 1851/1852 to 1911 and the 1906 and 1916 census for Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta.

Anthony and Frederick are not living together on the 1916 census. Both are listed as being the head of their respective households but there was no one else living with them. It does appear that the land they were living on was in the same section.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline porcelayne ladye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 July 09 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Jacquie
Thanks for your replying and clearing up the matter of websites.  I had a look at ancestry.ca indexes. Found them both in Medicine Hat.

In your reply to me you said "it does appear the land they were living on was in same section"

This is all new to me totally different to our UK Census's. County-Parish-Town or Village.  What does same section mean?

Kind Regards

porcelayne ladye

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 July 09 14:57 BST (UK) »
Goodmorning,

If you go back to http:abgensoc.ca/homestead and scroll down to the bottom page click on to David Obee's Family

History Page he has a excellent article explaining homestead records. It will be a great help to you on

understanding our Canadian land system.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline porcelayne ladye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 July 09 20:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lillbell will look at  David 0bee's page

Regards

Jayne

Offline porcelayne ladye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Jacquie have looked at David 0bees page which is now starting to make sense.  I managed to get to Records 0ffice and view 1916 Census and the two brothers were living very close to one another.

Not quite sure how to word this message.  Initially I have the Part, Section,  Township,  Range and Meridian numbers for them both.
Is this like we have in England when new houses are built they are given a Plot No before roads and numbers are in existence.  0R do these numbers last for ever.

If their Farms are still in existence would they still come under the number I have or would they have a postal address now.

Also do you know or have any ideas about what happens to the Land they were living on if and when they returned to UK does someone else take it on??

As I would like to try and pinpoint where about's their properties were.

To the best of my knowledge Frederick did not marry.  I know for definite Anthony did not.  So after they died childless what would happen.  Have searched for a Will for Anthony in UK  looks as though he did not make one.

I have emailed Alberta Family History Society re getting copy of Homestead Records.  Also will get in touch with Library and Archives Canada to see if I can get hold of a copy of their Land Grant. Have the references.

Gosh this is so frustrating being so far away knowing of Records in existence and not being able to consult them.

Question questions questions, sorry but I hoped you people might know some of the answers to help me with my research.

Kind Regards

Jayne :)

Online Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 July 09 01:09 BST (UK) »
Here is a link to a Wikipedia article explaining the Dominion Land Survey which hopefully isn't too confusing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominion_Land_Survey
I'm not sure if the land would still be described as it was on the 1916 census if the farm is still there as I believe Alberta later re-surveyed the province using their own system. It would be very unlikely to have a postal address though as the person living on the farm would probaby have to pick up their mail at the closest post office (the farming areas where I have lived didn't get their mail delivered to their farm). Depending on how close to Medicine Hat the farm was it may not be a farm anymore. Here's a link to a Wikipedia article on Medicine Hat:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicine_Hat

Once they fulfilled the requirements of the homestead agreements the land would belong to them so if they left they would have sold it. I believe it would only revert to the Crown if they didn't fulfill their obligations.

I haven't been able to find a map which would show exactly where their land was located.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 July 09 02:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Jayne,

Jacquie is right they more than likely sold the land if they went to England.

If you go back to the website I posted for Alberta Homestead Records you will see a area where you can ask questions. You could possibly find out who they sold the land to through the Alberta Archives which I believe has a
contact through the same website. I know that Saskatchewan  Archives holds Land Records as I have ordered several.

I do have a copy of a book that David Obee put out on homestead records I will look and see if I can find it and figure out where the land is on the map, with my husband's help.

Lilybell

Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline porcelayne ladye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 July 09 22:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Lilybell
Thanks for your reply yesterday. Will check out the website again and see what else I can find on my "boys".  My Grandmother was the most wonderful lady loved her to bits and still miss her even now she died over forty years ago. These were her brothers Anthony being her favourite that is why I am so desperate to find out as much as I can about them.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help would not have managed without you and  Jacquies help. Did come across some maps which even showed Cavendish on it but would not let me Print only available for Canada it said.  Maybe something to do with Copyright.

Bye for Now Talk to you soon

Kind Regards

porcelayne ladye