Author Topic: Which regiment?  (Read 3592 times)

Offline biffo0161

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which regiment?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 July 09 21:16 BST (UK) »
That's what I'm trying to find out at the moment Pete. Can,t figure out why they moved there unless it was for work purposes for Grandad. Dad's side of the family all originated from the Warrington/Stockton Heath area and dad's sister Dorothy was born there in 1909 (5 years Previous to dad), Grandads profession being an Iron/Brass moulder. Still digging for more info whilst I wait for his Army service Record to come back from Glasgow. Brian.
Carter family from Warrington/Salford/Levenshulme/Stockport  Adshead family from Etchells/Stockport and Wray family from Wilderspool/Salford

Offline Pete Keane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 July 09 12:38 BST (UK) »
There was a big foundry at the Pendleton end of Littleton Road in Salford, my g/f worked there - I will get the name from my mum, funny if its the same place!

Pete.

(g/f being grandfather, not girlfriend.......)

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 July 09 01:01 BST (UK) »
His number was issue out to the Royal Fusiliers 6,467,512  (6,446,001-6,515,000) & looking at the pic I would go with the badge being Royal Fusiliers.

Offline biffo0161

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 19 July 09 19:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that TheMonsStar you,ve confirmed what others have said.  There's a Royal Fusiliers museum at Fulwood in Preston if I'm not mistaken which is only 45 minutes away. Might go and pay them a visit, and see if they can give me any more information on what theatres of war my dad saw action in (obviously apart from El Alamein). Brian.
Carter family from Warrington/Salford/Levenshulme/Stockport  Adshead family from Etchells/Stockport and Wray family from Wilderspool/Salford

Offline Pete Keane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 July 09 19:25 BST (UK) »
hi biffo

Museum at Fulwood barracks is the Queens Lancs Regt - the QLR, South Lancs, East Lancs and Loyal North Lancs (I think...)

I think the Royal Fusiliers museum is in the Tower of London - it may have changed though with amalgamations.

The RF amalgamated with (amongst others) the Lancashire Fusiliers.

Pete.

Offline biffo0161

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 July 09 19:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pete. That's saved me a wasted journey. Don't fancy a trip to London on the off chance though. I'll find their website and see if I can get any info from them online, you never know. Or alternately I'll try one or two of the WW2 Forum websites and pick their brains, 'cos the stuff they know is unbeleivable, and they're only too glad to help same as on here, but I suppose we're all in the same boat . Bye for now.  Brian.

Offline Pete Keane

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 19 July 09 21:57 BST (UK) »
The foundry was called Metropolitan Vickers (metro-vics) and was at Trafford Park. Thinking about how much industry there was there, there must have been loads of similar yards.

no idea why I thought it was in Pendleton.....

I also post on www.ww2talk.com , more militarily angled than genealogical.

Let us know what his service history says.

Pete.

Offline biffo0161

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 19 July 09 22:10 BST (UK) »
 Will do Pete though I'll have probably have grown a beard by then judging by the length of time some of the people on here have had to wait. Bye for now. Brian.

Offline themonsstar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 20 July 09 14:27 BST (UK) »
From the Italy PoW list

6467512 Pte S.J.Carter, Royal Sussex Regt, PoW Camp 70=Monturano (near Fermo) PoW No